FF default pre-selected "save file" instead of "open with"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Kenosis

FF default pre-selected "save file" instead of "open with"

Post by Kenosis »

Hello,

for some reason, when downloading a rar file, Firefox now has "open with" set as default option instead of "save file". How can I change that?

To make it clear, I do NOT want to automatically save rar files (the option that can be set in Options -> Applicaton). I want the pre-selected default option that you see when you click a download to change. For .7z files the default pre-selection is "save file", for .rar it's "open with". Both are ofc set to "always ask" in the options.

https://imgur.com/a/BkXj0iT

I tried to edit the handlers.json with no luck. It even made it worse. Then I deleted it so it gets re-created but that made it worse too.

Can somebody tell me the trick please? Thanks in advance.
Kenosis

Re: FF default pre-selected "save file" instead of "open wit

Post by Kenosis »

Nobody? :/
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

I don't have an answer, but I hate when I ask a question, and there are no replies at all. I can say I also have mine set to "always ask", and depending on what type of file I download, it sometimes is "save file", and sometimes "open with" as the default choice. I think it just depends on the type of file, and I don't know if there's a place to check/select what a user wants for what type of file. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

My dialog tends to remember what I chose last, at least when I'm downloading a bunch of files in sequence.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That would probably be "action":2 or 4
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-release/s ... fo.idl#101

"application/rar":{"action":2,"ask":true,"extensions":["rar"]}
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

jscher2000 wrote:My dialog tends to remember what I chose last, at least when I'm downloading a bunch of files in sequence.
Mine did so as well, untill I accidently checked "do this automatically" once. After I revert this it stopped doing so and instead sticks to "open with" for rars.
dickvl wrote:That would probably be "action":2 or 4
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-release/s ... fo.idl#101
"application/rar":{"action":2,"ask":true,"extensions":["rar"]}
Your reply looks like you're the man of wisdom but I'm not that smart. Is this for the handlers.json?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Yes, this is about handlers.json as you wrote you messed up with this file.
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

Thank you for trying to help me. Unfortunately the above answer, editing the handlers.json, didn't work. Neither editing the file nor a freshly created one helped. Neither action 2 nor 4 helped. You will not believe what the solution was.

Something confused me the whole time. Besides my actual problem, why is "save automatically" greyed out for rar files? I thought that must have something to do with the problem.

Turns out, both the problem and solution are the sites I used for testing. Using a new one, a site I never used before for downloading, suddenly I can not only select "save as" but also "save automatically" wasn't greyed out there. So as soon as I did one download at that site selecting "save as" instead of "open with" it defaults to "save as" on all sites now.

Interestingly, now that the problem is solved, the handlers.json for rar files still looks like this:
{"application/x-rar-compressed":{"action":0,"ask":true,"extensions":["rar"]}
That's how it looked before as well. So the info "open with" or "save as" as default has to be stored site-specific and somewhere else.
therube

Post by therube »

If the website is sending the wrong mime-type... even the the "file" may say ".rar", the site is identifying it as something else, so the options afforded to you are also different.

Go back to the original site & you'll probably see (in F12) the mime-type is not set to application/x-rar-compressed for the file.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript