How to copy, save and share selected bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BretMan

How to copy, save and share selected bookmarks

Post by BretMan »

Hello,

I've accumulated probably a few thousand bookmarks by now and need to share some. For example:
1- Say out of my total bookmarks I have a hundred on a certain topic and 25 on another topic. How do I select (copy) just the 100 and 25 bookmarks into two separate sets, then separate them away from the total set and save them, so I can then send them to someone else who uses FF?

2- How would the recipient open the bookmarks I shared, both separate from their total saved bookmarks and also integrate them into their total if they prefer?

Thank you.
costark

Re: How to copy, save and share selected bookmarks

Post by costark »

Edited / deleted for much better solutions below...........

EDIT: 9/10/20: My idea involved dragging 125 separate Bkmarks (folder copy-paste/drag don't work) to 2 different New Profiles/ Export to HTML / Import that to friend's Profile -- and That seemed crazy compared to Limpet & morat's ideas - UNTIL I thought about Deleting (essentially) 2-3000 bookmarks in their methods.

Hope the OP posts what he did......
Last edited by costark on September 10th, 2020, 6:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi BretMan,
If you Export all your bookmarks to HTML & open the file in a text editor, you can select all the needed ones, discard the UN-needed ones
& "Save as..." an HTML.
This can be exported/sent to anywhere.

May take you a little while to sort them out.
For ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_bookmarks

Here's an old/er thread on the topic...
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=1914083
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
morat

Post by morat »

I would backup my bookmarks as a bookmarks.json file in the library window, then...

* remove all folders and bookmarks you don't want to send
* export bookmarks.html file
* restore bookmarks.json file

The recipient can import the bookmarks.html file in the library window.

Restoring a bookmarks.json file will always replace all current bookmarks where as importing a bookmarks.html file will merge them with existing bookmarks.

P.S.

To select a bunch of adjacent bookmarks, click the first bookmark you want, then hold down the shift key and click the last bookmark you want.

To select more than one bookmark, hold down the ctrl key and click each bookmark you want.