Main differences between 68.12 ESR and 78.2 ESR

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
CBA

Main differences between 68.12 ESR and 78.2 ESR

Post by CBA »

I recently installed 68.12 ESR 64-bit (in parallel with 52.9 ESR) and found this Firefox iteration very good. Accordingly, I plan to use the 68.12 ESR release for some time (I have blocked updates). That said, what are the key differences between 68.12 ESR and 78.2 ESR from an Interface and Extension perspective?

Are there any compelling reasons why I should upgrade (other than security updates)? I looked on the web to find answers, but found none. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Main differences between 68.12 ESR and 78.2 ESR

Post by DanRaisch »

From the version numbers it sounds as though you are actually asking about Thunderbird and not Firefox even through you posted in the Firefox General forum. Is that the case?
CBA

Post by CBA »

No. What I refer to and use right now is Firefox 68.12.0 ESR (August 25, 2020).
morat

Post by morat »

CBA

Post by CBA »

Useful for checking what's new and bug fixes, but less so for comparing two major ESR releases. The same is true for the many online reviews published after each version release. I'm sure this comparison is out there somewhere .. I just haven't found it.
therube

Post by therube »

Well sure it is a valid resource.
You just have to put two + two together (after all, you are a CPA, oops, CBA ;-)).

68ESR is (essentially) feature static, receiving only security updates.
Later Non-ESR changes are noted in the Release notes.
So if something in those notes peaks your interest...
Or if some bug was fixed that still exists in 68ESR (but stuff like that would be harder to determine)...

Otherwise, don't know that I've ever seen an ESR vs Release comparison.

Also note that 68ESR will be end-of-life, shortly, at which point the ESR version will jump to 78ESR (which is out already, actually, but 68ESR is still also supported [for a short time yet]).

And actually, the 78ESR page does give a few trinkets, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/7 ... easenotes/.
Some of the highlights of the new Extended Support Release are:

Kiosk mode
Client certificates
Service Worker and Push APIs are now enabled
The Block Autoplay feature is enabled
Picture-in-picture support
View and manage web certificates in about:certificate
(All sounds real important to me ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
CBA

Post by CBA »

therube wrote:Also note that 68ESR will be end-of-life, shortly, at which point the ESR version will jump to 78ESR...
Won't "jump" to 78 ESR before I remove the upgrade block. As I just phased 68.12.0 ESR in (I'm late to the party by design) that won't happen anytime soon unless I find a "compelling" reason to do so. Said differently, once I figure out what 2+2 (= 5 ?) is I may give it a shot...! Must be the CPA in me (I'm not).

Jokes aside, this is all about comparing the 68 ESR branch with 78 ESR and not with a "normal" Release. Some of the features that are default on 78 ESR can be activated on 68 ESR via about:config .. which I have done. So, I'm still in discovery mode for now.

Different animal, but once TOR moves to the 78 ESR branch I'll check the UI (although a bit like comparing apples with dragon fruit)! Thanks.
CBA

Post by CBA »

This is the "missing" link I have been looking for: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... ease-notes

To quote from the introduction: "Starting with Firefox 78, we will produce detailed release notes for issues that impact enterprises including bug fixes, enhancements, and policy changes. Because this is our first enterprise release notes, we'll also be including notable changes between the last ESR (Firefox 68) and Firefox 78."

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!