Colour in 78.2.2

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
arturox

Colour in 78.2.2

Post by arturox »

OMG.
Thunderbird did an update to 78.2.2, thereafter my 'All Folders' display is colourless, well black outlines and white inside, where have all the colours gone from this dreary colourless Thunderbird.

There's a limit as to how much aesthetic vandalism can be tolerated, How can I get the colours back in to my 'All folders' display?

Thanks
Arturo X
tanstaafl

Re: Colour in 78.2.2

Post by tanstaafl »

I agree that 78 is dreary (has more white space but less color) but I'm not aware of 78.2.2 making it even worse. Where did you see color before?

I'm using view -> folders -> all with 78.2.2 and see color outlines for the account name icons and the sent and junk folder icons in the folder pane, and a colored background near the top of the main window due to a light weight theme. I can set color outlines for individual folders using their properties, but don't find it worthwhile. I also see colored text due to tagged messages in the folder pane and a yellow background for any "To protect your privacy Thunderbird has blocked remote image sin this message" warnings. If I enable the optional start page it has a blue background.

You could try deleting the xulstore.json file in the profile. That stores the toolbar , window layout and size/position settings. When you restart Thunderbird will create a replacement file with default settings.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working
arturox

Post by arturox »

tanstaafl wrote:I agree that 78 is dreary (has more white space but less color) but I'm not aware of 78.2.2 making it even worse. Where did you see color before?
In the version I was using yesterday, obviously it has gone now and as I let Tb update itself as and when updated become available, no idea what it was.

Just checked all the computers here, including this one were in 68.12.0

For FS I've just looked at Tb on my laptop, which has in Options, "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them." selected, but the damn thing has auto updated itself anyway.

I've checked on other computer in the house with "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them." selected, but they've all updated to this sterile thing.
I am really annoyed... And had better depart for a while, otherwise I'll be saying things here that'll get me thrown out...

Ax
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

help -> about Thunderbird automatically checks for updates regardless of your settings. Its safest to use help -> troubleshooting information to check the version number.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird if you want a copy of a setup program for an older version of Thunderbird.
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

I have exactly the same issue this morning.
Thunderbird updated to 78.2.2 and now all my folders are monochrome.
YUK.

Its rubbish

The default theme is called something like 'with the operating system colour' but it looks no different to the light scheme.
it's devoid of all colour
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1295378 talks about a interaction between Windows 10 Personalization settings and the Dark theme causing color problems with emails and the folders icons in the foder pane. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1335707 for a workaround if you're using the Dark theme.

I'm using a green marble theme from thunderbird.net .
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

Messing about with light and dark themes inside windows display properties creates a new problem, where as, TB's dark theme seems to take over and take precident.
Adding ui.systemUsesDarkTheme = 0 in TB's config editor, resolves that issue.
However, it doesn't resolve the issue of there being no colour.
keatzilla

Post by keatzilla »

Adding another theme doesn't fix the issue either, and in doing so, it removes ui.systemUsesDarkTheme from config editor.
arturox

Post by arturox »

Mmnnn!
I'm beginning to wonder, do the developers of Tb have any aesthetic sensitivity or are they just robotic grinders out of code?

It's all very well making the code tight and the app faster, but unless the app has some aesthetic appeal as well, it's just boring, boring and turns folks away from using it.

As a person with colour (Color) vision, I like my apps to engage me, not bore me depressingly. :-(

Ax
morat

Post by morat »

What is the reasoning behind grayscale icons?
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/6210
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

arturox wrote:Mmnnn!
I'm beginning to wonder, do the developers of Tb have any aesthetic sensitivity or are they just robotic grinders out of code?

It's all very well making the code tight and the app faster, but unless the app has some aesthetic appeal as well, it's just boring, boring and turns folks away from using it.

As a person with colour (Color) vision, I like my apps to engage me, not bore me depressingly. :-(

Ax
Have you looked at the Bookmark folders of your Firefox 80. Do they have color or just a white outline?

What about Address bar icons and other icons you can select from Customize?

Thunderbird had to adapt to Mozilla changes in Firefox.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

My copy of Firefox 80.0.1 uses normal icons (have color) in the bookmark sidebar.
frg

Post by frg »

> Thunderbird had to adapt to Mozilla changes in Firefox.

No. Theme support was removed and what is called themes these days is more or less only thin skins but you can have one general default theme in a Gecko application with all the colors and icons you like. That everything is chromified in black and white and empty space now is just a developer decision.

FRG
arcon

Post by arcon »

FML. This is why developers are supposed to take orders from someone in UX.

So basically after I upgraded to 78.2.2, it looks like a dark theme of sorts. I don't have much of a problem with that as incoming mail displays correctly... but mail being drafted does not. Why on earth should it over-ride my settings while I'm typing mail, making my custom signature look awful? It should be WYSIWYG. Obviously.

Even if there is a fix, setting it to that by default is beyond a rookie mistake for a mail program.