need copy of TB ver 68.12.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
petergo

need copy of TB ver 68.12.0

Post by petergo »

hi there

I am having problems every weekend when I back up TB on my primary desktop using Hekasoft, and then trying to restore on my backup desktop and backup laptop.

I am using ver 68.12.0 on my primary desktop win 10 pro

The problem is my backup computers tell me that there is a profile issue because the back up computers have later versions of TB ( I think they updated automatically )

I have googled for TB ver 68.12.0 but can only find "portable" versions, so I tried that, and the restore worked, BUT, then I could not find TB any where on my hard drive to pen the application.

Q1.. where can I get a copy please of TB ver 68.12.0, and

Q2.. why cant' I find the application file to open TB?

kindest thanks
cheers
peter
tanstaafl

Re: need copy of TB ver 68.12.0

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird . You'd probbaly want http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 8.12.0.exe (64 bit version of Thunderbird 68.12.0 for Windows systems)

Help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder should open windows explorer (file explorer) at your current profile. Typically if you go up two directories from that you'll find the profiles.ini file that specifies where Thunderbird should find any profiles. Its safest to backup the entire C:\users\windows_username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird tree though you only need to backup the profile.

"The problem is my backup computers tell me that there is a profile issue because the back up computers have later versions of TB ( I think they updated automatically )"

More details please. Version 68 is the first version where the profiles.ini tries to lock a profile to a specific version, though what it actually tests is whether that profile uses a any version of Thunderbird installed at a specific location. That location is specified with a hash in a Lock statement for the profile in the profiles.ini . So its possible your problem is you installed Thunderbird in different locations on the two machines.

You can also use a --allow-downgrade command line argument in the Thunderbird shortcut to try to use a different version (actually a different installation directory) of Thunderbird with a profile. Worse case try using a -profile "full_path_to_profile" command line argument to bypass profiles.ini and specify the profiles location.

The latter is documented in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Running_from_ ... hunderbird , and does NOT require you to use a USB drive.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Heckasoft seems to know how to read and modify profiles.ini (its used to tell Thunderbird where profiles are). The problem might be that the syntax used to specify a profile in profiles.ini changed for profiles created using version 68 and later. If it doesn't know about that change it would work fine with version 60 and earlier but not version 68 and 78.

Its change log says Version 0.93 [2020/08/04] modified the backup process for Thunderbird to generate two files but its not clear looking at that entry and the preceding ones whether it was updated to support version 68 of Thunderbird.

Thunderbird is also fussy in that it will not tolerate any errors in the profiles.ini file, even if they're for a profile you don't care about.
petergo

Post by petergo »

thank you, you are terrific and I appreciate it so much all the time you took to expplain the issue to me.
Sadly, it's way above my pay grade.

BUT, good news, I uninstalled TB ver 78, and with your link, installed ver 68.12.0, and then did the Hekasoft restore, and it worked great

EXCEPT, as soon as I started TB, it went into automatic update and installation, and even though I have checked to allow me to decide whether to install update or not.

So, may I kindly ask you please how do I STOP the update even if I have the 2nd box checked not install update

kindest thansk again
cheers
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

petergo wrote:thank you, you are terrific and I appreciate it so much all the time you took to expplain the issue to me.
Sadly, it's way above my pay grade.

BUT, good news, I uninstalled TB ver 78, and with your link, installed ver 68.12.0, and then did the Hekasoft restore, and it worked great

EXCEPT, as soon as I started TB, it went into automatic update and installation, and even though I have checked to allow me to decide whether to install update or not.

So, may I kindly ask you please how do I STOP the update even if I have the 2nd box checked not install update

kindest thansk again
cheers
Best way is to put the following into a reg file and that will stop Tbird from even mentioning anything about an update:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Thunderbird]
"DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000001
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi
Thank you for the suggestion

I first created a restore point just in case, then I did 'regedit', and scrolled down to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies

but there was only a microsoft folder and no Mozilla\thunderbird

I did see a Mozilla folder a little higher up the tree, but it only had Firefox things in it, no policies.

Can you help me further, or do I need to know about editing registry entries further

thank you
cheers
peter
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

petergo wrote:hi
Thank you for the suggestion

I first created a restore point just in case, then I did 'regedit', and scrolled down to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies

but there was only a microsoft folder and no Mozilla\thunderbird

I did see a Mozilla folder a little higher up the tree, but it only had Firefox things in it, no policies.

Can you help me further, or do I need to know about editing registry entries further

thank you
cheers
peter
You need to manually add the Mozilla folder with the subfolder Thunderbird. The easist way is to enter the text I gave you into notepad and then save the file as a .reg file, not a .txt file. Then just click on the reg file and it will ask you if you want to enter it into the Registry and just say yes.
petergo

Post by petergo »

thanks for your patience and fast replies

Am I clear that this is what I copy and paste into a notepad window?

Then you state I should save it as a .reg file.

Do I give it a name or soemthing?
Do I save it to my favourite folder in file explorer so I know where to find it?
AND, then, do I understand correctly, I just double click on that new named file, and it does it's magic? <smiles>

thanks, and apologies for me being such a dummy

cheers
peter
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

petergo wrote:thanks for your patience and fast replies

Am I clear that this is what I copy and paste into a notepad window?

Then you state I should save it as a .reg file.

Do I give it a name or soemthing?
Do I save it to my favourite folder in file explorer so I know where to find it?
AND, then, do I understand correctly, I just double click on that new named file, and it does it's magic? <smiles>

thanks, and apologies for me being such a dummy

cheers
peter
You're not a dummy, just learning new things. Since you appear to be a novice at this I will explain further. To be sure you understand after entering the text into notepad you click "save as" and at the bottom where the box says "save as type" click the down arrow at the left and select "all files". Then enter a name like this: "TBird No Update.reg". You can use any name you want, but it must have .reg at the end. Now just save it anywhere you want. You must have a folder somewhere on your computer with all your personal documents. You don't have to use the standard windows folders like favorites, etc. In fact, I think it's much better to just create a folder named, say "Peter's Personal Files" and put it on the C drive or another drive if you have it. There you can save all your documents, emails, etc. And yes after saving it just double click on it and it will do the magic. If you want to undo it in the future you just delet the Mozilla key or change the value from DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000001 to DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000000.
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi again

thanks for the fast reply, you are terrifc m8!

Did everything as directed, and when I double clicked the .reg file, I got a registry editor error window...

Can not import the file I saved.
It says "The specified file is not a registry script"
"You can only import binary registry files from witin the registry editor"

I think I need one more lesson please, if you dont mind

Sense, getting very close to resolving this :-)
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

petergo wrote:hi again

thanks for the fast reply, you are terrifc m8!

Did everything as directed, and when I double clicked the .reg file, I got a registry editor error window...

Can not import the file I saved.
It says "The specified file is not a registry script"
"You can only import binary registry files from witin the registry editor"

I think I need one more lesson please, if you dont mind

Sense, getting very close to resolving this :-)
I never saw this before, but I quickly researched it and this is what I found: First, you have to be using Notepad because other text editors may add extraneous code. And also the entry "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" has to be the very top line. Make sure you are using notepad and that there is no blank space at the top and see what happens.
petergo

Post by petergo »

hey again

Guilty!!
I did not include the line Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

Redid it all, and voila it worked
I mean in the Registry editor I now see the entry under policies, it has a folder for Firefox and TBird

Now I will restart TB, and cross fingers it wont install new version

thanks
I'll let you know
petergo

Post by petergo »

THANK YOU

is it "It snow" or "Its now"
I imagine they are your initials
Your blood is worth bottling m8, and that's the highest compliment you can be paid where I come from.

And I appreciate the lessons, even though I dont have a clue how they work
Hard to teach an old dog (75) new tricks, but this old fart really truly appreciates your help

thanks again
best wishes
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

petergo wrote:THANK YOU

is it "It snow" or "Its now"
I imagine they are your initials
Your blood is worth bottling m8, and that's the highest compliment you can be paid where I come from.

And I appreciate the lessons, even though I dont have a clue how they work
Hard to teach an old dog (75) new tricks, but this old fart really truly appreciates your help

thanks again
best wishes
Glad it worked. You can check TBird by clicking help>about and it will say updates disabled by your system administrator-That's you. And it is LT Snow as in Larry T. Snow.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Does this work with Windows 10 Home?

Is the only restriction that the Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc is not available in the Home version so you need to know what to modify in the registry and do that yourself? https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/07/how-t ... e-devices/ says "Home users have to search for Registry keys linked to policies in those cases to make those changes to PCs running Windows 10 Home."

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1269626 is a related thread on SUMO about disabling updates that doesn't address that issue.