Strange clx???? files in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
CBA

Strange clx???? files in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp

Post by CBA »

W10 Pro 1809 and Firefox 68.12.0 ESR

For the past few weeks I notice "strange" .tmp file in this location: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp They all start with "clx" followed by four digits-letters, like the below. The sizes range from 5 KB up to 2,800+ KB:

clx1350.tmp
clxB629.tmp
clxD812.tmp

I have tried to track them down using W10 Event Viewer, but so far no success. I was thinking that these files could have something to do with Fx 68 ESR, which I installed early August. Thanks for any pointers!
morat

Re: Strange clx???? files in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp

Post by morat »

Maybe it's a printer file. Do you have a HP or Samsung printer?
CBA

Post by CBA »

I have a legacy LaserJet 2200d (PCL 5) attached via USB. But I used this printer with W10 for over a year before I started to see these .tmp files. Maybe it has something to do with my Fx 68 install?!
morat

Post by morat »

It's possible for Windows Update to install a new printer driver that behaves differently.

It may be a Firefox plugin, but I doubt it. The default plugins are closed source.

Tools > Addons > Plugins

Is the clx*.tmp file a binary file? Try searching for ANSI and UNICODE strings in the file.

Strings
http://docs.microsoft.com/sysinternals/ ... ds/strings
CBA

Post by CBA »

Reportedly, the printer driver I use is the most current (and only) one for my printer. Under W7 I had more choice and PCL 6 worked fine, but W10 offers only an older PCL 5 driver. The printer (a great one...) is legacy as I mentioned.

As far as I can determine, it's binary. But, using a File Manager I have peeked inside (Ansi, Unicode, Hex, etc.) the clx*.tmp files and have found no strings whatsoever identifying the file origin or id. Normally I can nail down the origin, but not here.

I'll try Strings next time one of the .tmp files pop up. They got wiped as part of normal cleaning. If they don't show up again, great, but they probably will soon enough though.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Firefox has it's own folder in the user Temp folder (the "mozilla-temp-files" directory). There's nought unusual in finding many "strange" files
and folders in the user Temp folder. Periodically, I go in and clear out hundreds of them (mostly empty). There's usually no hint as to the
source, but I doubt very much they have anything to do with Firefox. If you really must know, I'd suggest to install Process Monitor from
the Microsoft/Sysinternals Suite, and set it up to monitor access to your Temp folder.
CBA

Post by CBA »

The reason (as mentioned) why I brought this up here is that I installed Firefox 68 ESR 64-bit at about the same time (I think) the "strange" files started to occur. Other than that, I don't know of any possible relationship between the clx*.tmp files and Firefox. But, afaik, Fx 68 calls home from time to time...

I keep a frequent eye on the C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp and remove files and folder on a regular basis. Amazing how much junk ends up in this folder and stays there unless removed manually. Most of the time I can identify the files/folder and relate them to "something", but with the clx*.tmp I have no clue. Here is the collection before they were wiped:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clx1350.tmp	453 KB     09/22/2020 18:42
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clx1351.tmp	2,268 KB   09/22/2020 18:42
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clx4092.tmp	2,879 KB   09/23/2020 16:40
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clxB629.tmp	2,536 KB   09/23/2020 10:22
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clxD810.tmp	7 KB       09/23/2020 22:40
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clxD811.tmp	439 KB     09/23/2020 22:40
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clxD812.tmp	1,231 KB   09/23/2020 22:40
I already have Process Monitor and once I figure out how to set it up to monitor C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp I may find out more. We'll see. Thanks.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Not being a Firefox problem, this belongs in the Tech. forum..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
CBA

Post by CBA »

LIMPET235 wrote:Not being a Firefox problem, this belongs in the Tech. forum..
Well, maybe or maybe not! But, the folks in Wollongong may know better. Enjoy springtime...
kreemoweet wrote:Firefox has it's own folder in the user Temp folder (the "mozilla-temp-files" directory) .. I'd suggest to install Process Monitor .. and set it up to monitor access to your Temp folder.
Process Monitor shows Firefox action in the Temp folder outside the "mozilla-temp-files" directory. We'll see what and where this takes my clx*.tmp search. Life is full of surprises...
CBA

Post by CBA »

kreemoweet wrote:If you really must know, I'd suggest to install Process Monitor from the Microsoft/Sysinternals Suite, and set it up to monitor access to your Temp folder.
Having used Process Monitor for days I finally tracked down what program generated the clx*.tmp files. It's "ClipX" (http://bluemars.org/clipx/), a legacy clipboard program I run under compatibility mode. Not sure of the exact interaction, but having Bitmap Entries cached seems to cause the dump of the clx*.tmp files under some circumstances.

In hindsight it makes sense that "ClipX" generates clx*.tmp file. At any ratet, as long as I know what's going on I can deal with it. Case closed.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hello,
Many thanks for reporting the culprit.

If you ever get tired of those .clx files...building up,
you may like to see if either of these suits you a bit better.
(There's a few more choices down the bottom.)

> https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... lips.shtml
> https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... ture.shtml
&...> https://101-clips.en.lo4d.com/windows
I've been using 101 Clips for years with no probs.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
CBA

Post by CBA »

LIMPET235 wrote:If you ever get tired of those .clx files...building up, you may like to see if either of these suits you a bit better...
Thanks for the links. To date I haven't found another clip-prog that's simple and does just what it's supposed to do. With XP and W7 I used "Clipomatic" (Mike Lin), but that's not W10 compatible. Fwiw, by chance, I ran across this link: https://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/229127 ... s-so-1980s