Video requirements

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
borgward

Video requirements

Post by borgward »

Looking to replace 13 year old laptop with new used. How much (not minimal) video power will I need to run FF well?
DanRaisch

Re: Video requirements

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this is not really a Firefox issue/question.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

To run Mozilla Firefox or any other web browser well on these today's bloaty website pages, you will need GPU which is not blocked by internal web browser blacklist to have proper hardware acceleration. If you will be watching movies on streaming website pages, especially on YouTube, you will need also GPU which has hardware decoding support for VP9 (you can also force only H.264 for YouTube with h264ify extension to mitigate high CPU usage). And of course 4 core (or more) CPU, and 8GB (or more) RAM.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Virtual_ManPL wrote: And of course 4 core (or more) CPU, and 8GB (or more) RAM.
Yep. +1
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

+2 At least i5 processor.
Not sure how good, outside office work and web surfing, Intel integrated HD Graphics /620/630/? is.
Might want to add a better card or at least check if that's possible, another thing that stopped me buying a certain Lenovo gaming laptop was to add memory one had to take it to a Certified Dealer for soldering!!! the new stick in........ got a Del with a spare slot, if necessary 2 screws 5 minutes.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
borgward

Post by borgward »

mightyglydd wrote:got a Del with a spare slot.
I tend to favor Dell because they are fixable. In most cases. Dell makes crap and they make good stuff. Better support, Service manuals from Dell and parts availability.

No Extra slots for RAM! RAM is soldered in! That's crazy.
Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

I have a ThinkPad E590 that I bought new, last fall. It’s got an Intel quad-core i5-8265U processor with UHD 620 graphics, the only graphics in the laptop. Screen is an IPS 1920x1080 that I run at 1600x900, with fonts scaled to 150%. Win 10 Pro, 8-gigs. RAM and a 512 GB SSD.

I’ve had no video problems with anything I’ve done online, but I do not play any online games. I do watch videos, though. On occasion I hook up an HDMI cable between my laptop and non-smart TV to watch a video on TV. I’ve had no problems doing that.

Mike
Quack! Quack!
robobox

Post by robobox »

I have run Firefox 68 decently in a VM with just 1 GiB of RAM. But yes, modern web sites are fairly large.
- sincerely, robobox
aleksbi4

Post by aleksbi4 »

borgward wrote:Looking to replace 13 year old laptop with new used. How much (not minimal) video power will I need to run FF well?
I have not so much expensive ASUS Zenbook UX331.
It has Core i5 8250U and 8 RAM and Intel UHD Graphics 620.
I can work, play use video editor and photoshop!

You can build on these parameters!
borgward

Post by borgward »

Recently I have had to zoom out on Most web pages to see the entire page width as I used to. If I don't I have to scroll the page sideways to see the edges. Is that because I do not have enough video power to display them correctly?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Sounds like your screen resolution has changed
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
borgward

Post by borgward »

It's at 1280 X 800 (16:10)

The lower options are:

1024 X 768 (4:3)
800 X 600 (4:3)

I tried 1024 X 768. That's definitely not what I have been using.