Moving to "Apple"

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Ralph6410

Moving to "Apple"

Post by Ralph6410 »

Having been a long term MS/Windows user I am considering an Apple Laptop. My "life" is on/with SeaMonkey, I see that there is a download for the MAC OS.. BUT.. can one move/import/copy my profile (and all the emails etc) from Windows 10 to an Apple laptop. :?:
Anonymosity

Re: Moving to "Apple"

Post by Anonymosity »

You can use files from the profile, but a better idea would be to use only the essential files from the old profile in the new one, since pathnames are completely different for MacOS. You can use the bookmarks, cookies, passwords, the encryption key for the passwords, the email files, search plugins. Any settings that do not contain pathnames could be copied to a user.js file from prefs.js and added to the new profile. Anything else would be better created from a new profile. It would be better to install any add-ons over again.
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

Thank you. Is there a program to do this. A detailed "how to"? I have used MozBackup to copy my "stuff" to a new computer.. but always on a Windows platform/OS
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

frg

Post by frg »

Consider moving to Linux instead. Apple hardware gets pricier and junkier with every iteration now and we might not be able to support upcoming macOS release any longer. They are building a walled garden around their hardware where only Apple software or cripped apps where they get revenue via the shop from counts.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

i would even go with a Dualboot with Windows an Linux , Apple is only good for Developers.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
frg

Post by frg »

> Apple is only good for Developers.

Maybe app developers only. Not many programs left and with the move to arm hardware the list will become even shorter I suspect. But ymmv.

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:Consider moving to Linux instead. Apple hardware gets pricier and junkier with every iteration now and we might not be able to support upcoming macOS release any longer. They are building a walled garden around their hardware where only Apple software or cripped apps where they get revenue via the shop from counts.
frg,

Febe still works for some of the profile information.

Nick
Last edited by ndebord on September 2nd, 2020, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Let's get back on topic here, folks. The OP's question was only about moving a profile (or profiles) from Win to Apple. Personal OS preferences may be interesting but not germane to the current topic.
d4rkn1ght

Post by d4rkn1ght »

frg wrote:Consider moving to Linux instead. Apple hardware gets pricier and junkier with every iteration now and we might not be able to support upcoming macOS release any longer. They are building a walled garden around their hardware where only Apple software or cripped apps where they get revenue via the shop from counts.
Plus their Intel days are number. I don't know if switching to ARM will affect new versions of SeaMonkey, but Apple is dead set on making the change.

It is going to be sad, thinking that I might not be able to run SeaMonkey on my Macs in the future. :(
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What is wrong with Intel CPUs?
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

DanRaisch wrote:Let's get back on topic here, folks. The OP's question was only about moving a profile (or profiles) from Win to Apple. Personal OS preferences may be interesting but not germane to the current topic.
Thanks
I am about to give up on trying to use TB. I get it working on one user, my own using IMAP. Then try to install a copy in the other user that needs POP. I have succeeded a few times, including all the locally stored emails. However.. log off or change users and one has to go through the whole setup procedure again.. and arrive at a blank empty copy for my wife.

The other issue I can not figure out is where the incremental numbering is coming from. I send all my profiles to trash, replace them with my valid full copies. After going through the setup process there are new profiles, numbered sequentially from the last try (am up to #13 on the second users side).

Obviously I am doing something wrong.. or, the current version of TB and the latest Apple iOS the Big Sur don't play well together with multiple users.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, we need to clarify some terms to understand what you are doing and seeing.
What do you mean by "the other user"? Is that just a second email account or a second Thunderbird profile you are trying to add?
And when you refer to sending "all my profiles to trash", are you deleting the entire directory structure that represents the Thunderbird profile? If so, are you doing that with Thunderbird closed (not active in memory)?
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

I have set up two users on my Macbook Air. One administrator and the second Standard if this makes any difference. I have given up trying to install TB to "my" account, this will be fundamentally my wifes laptop and keeping her 15 odd years of collected emails is very important. We started years ago with Netscape, moved to SeaMonkey and have used POP email since day one.

Because SeaMonkey is getting old in the tooth it was (is) my intention to transfer my email to TB on my PC (which worked). Then transfer those/that profile to the new installation of TB on my MacBook. At some point in my many tries this in fact worked.. and then lost it all when I changed users. I can not repeat that and at the moment have given up, working instead to get a copy of TB that will just survive a change of users and an ejected install script

At the moment it seems I can install a working (empty) POP version of TB but when I eject the Thunderbird thingmie that the installation puts on my desk top the TB Icon stops working and comes up with a message "Your Thunderbird profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible". Before ejecting the BT Icon that on my desktop both the Icon in the dock and the one in Launch pad work.

So, obviously my installation is not being done quite right. Clicking on the "Thunderbird 78.6.0.dgm" located in Applications > Other brings up a Thunderbird program (?) with an TB Icon and an arrow pointing towards a folder with an APP store symbol on it. Moving the Icon into the folder starts an installation program that I can continue to a working copy of TB. And it seems to work until I eject that installation part.

I read someplace that if you fail to install TB to the Mac Applications everytime TB starts it will not have remembered the previous settings and will ask to create new accounts. This I have also experienced and "may" be part of the "eject" problem.

Once I get a stable installation, it is my hope that by changing the names of the profiles It will pick up all the old emails and settings.I "think" that is how I had it working once before. With each attempt at a "clean" installation I move to trash all the profiles that the last attempt created. ~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/

With all the troubles I had/have with TB I thought perhaps to try installing SeaMonkey..Bad idea, first I get a message about not being approved by Apple (or something to that effect) and the Google tells me I can bypass that check.. Which I did.. and promptly froze my desktop at the SeaMonkey setup screen. Which required a reboot to get rid of. Subsequently the Google tells me that SeaMonkey and Big Sur don't play well together.

Any advice or links to advice that deals with Apple's latest iOS and TB greatly appreciated.
And Thank you for your time,
Cheers
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Ralph6410 wrote:I have set up two users on my Macbook Air. One administrator and the second Standard if this makes any difference. I have given up trying to install TB to "my" account
First of all ALL applications are in the Applications folder on the computer; they are not in user specific accounts.

Start with that info and see if you can resolve your issue.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6