Slow Firefox rendering; how to speed up?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

Slow Firefox rendering; how to speed up?

Post by Flycaster »

I have the newest updates for Firefox and for Windows 10. It seems to me that once Windows is open and I select FF from the toolbar, it takes quite a long time for FF to be fully rendered. How can I speed up FF's opening.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Slow Firefox rendering; how to speed up?

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Snappy opening when switched to Safe Mode. I do have quite a bit of customization including 33 addons. I believe that these addons are all "approved" addons.

EDIT: Interestingly, after checking Safe Mode and closing FF, when reopening in regular mode, it opened fairly fast?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No idea what happens with that but we've seen it happen in other instances.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

Flycaster wrote:I do have quite a bit of customization including 33 addons. I believe that these addons are all "approved" addons.
Just because they're "approved" add-ons doesn't mean your PC will start Firefox faster or in nominal amount of time. 33 add-ons is a boatload. Maybe you should think about upgrading your system RAM. Do you know how much your system currently has and the maximum it will accept? If you don't know the answer, you can go on Crucial's website and it will tell you.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Tushman wrote:
Flycaster wrote:I do have quite a bit of customization including 33 addons. I believe that these addons are all "approved" addons.
Just because they're "approved" add-ons doesn't mean your PC will start Firefox faster or in nominal amount of time. 33 add-ons is a boatload. Maybe you should think about upgrading your system RAM. Do you know how much your system currently has and the maximum it will accept? If you don't know the answer, you can go on Crucial's website and it will tell you.
My HP 750-114 came with 12GB of memory and can take a max of 16GB. Will an extra 4GB make a difference?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you restoring tabs from the previous session as it can take some time to reopen and render these tabs ?
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

Flycaster wrote:
Tushman wrote:
My HP 750-114 came with 12GB of memory and can take a max of 16GB. Will an extra 4GB make a difference?
Hey that's pretty good. 12 GB is an ample amount and I doubt that extra 4 GB will make any appreciable difference.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

32 extensions is not a massive amount but when you get problems usually its because you have one or more trying to do the same job. For example multiple addblockers and or script blockers. The old "speed Firefox" tips you see all over the internet rarely (never) do as advertised and playing around in about:config without a comprehensive manual is a recipe for disaster
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
therube

Post by therube »

once Windows is open
So you're starting Windows (10) cold?
That is likely to be the issue, I'd think. Most likely there is so much crap going on (in the background) that most anything you do will be slow, until Windows actually finishes its' chores (of crap loading).

You could test starting up your computer & instead of opening your 33 extension profile, opening a (pre-existing, though) new, clean test profile instead. And if that too is still slow, it's Windows.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

therube wrote:
once Windows is open
So you're starting Windows (10) cold?
That is likely to be the issue, I'd think. Most likely there is so much crap going on (in the background) that most anything you do will be slow, until Windows actually finishes its' chores (of crap loading).

You could test starting up your computer & instead of opening your 33 extension profile, opening a (pre-existing, though) new, clean test profile instead. And if that too is still slow, it's Windows.
I think you are right...just too much crap on opening. But, once opened, FF is now working reasonably fast.