Letters "halo" when being scrolled?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

Letters "halo" when being scrolled?

Post by Flycaster »

FF 81.0.2 and the latest Windows 10 update. I'm a long time user of FF and with these two recent up dates I am now noticing a "halo" effect around printed matter when I scroll a page. Specifically, while in the scroll motion, the letters seems to have a white outline around them. When page is stationary, letters are nice and sharp without a hint of halo. BTW, this is not happening with Edge or Chrome or my pdf reader. Anyone care to take a shot at explaining what's happening?
Last edited by Flycaster on October 20th, 2020, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Letters "halo" when being scrolled?

Post by DanRaisch »

The usual first diagnostic question: Have you tried Safe Mode? That would eliminate any extensions and also disable hardware acceleration to rule that out. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Could be a multitude of things Win 10 updates have been extremely bad and buggy this year even by Microsofts low standards
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:The usual first diagnostic question: Have you tried Safe Mode? That would eliminate any extensions and also disable hardware acceleration to rule that out. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Following both your suggestions, made no difference in the haloing effect, unfortunately.

EDIT:Actually, I unchecked "smooth scrolling" and changed mouse scrolling from 3 lines to 1. Didn't seem to make any difference, though. And, I went back and checked change with Chrome, pdf reader...no problems there. However, I also checked with my email client, Thunderbird, and there is haloing as I scroll the email text???
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender