Cannot get emails. [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
query323

Cannot get emails. [Mac.]

Post by query323 »

Hi, I'm getting this error:

"Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server pop3.live.com responded: Command is not valid in this state."

Not sure why it's doing this now but I can't retrieve my emails. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Last edited by LIMPET235 on October 16th, 2020, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the Title.
LIMPET235

Re: Cannot get emails

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Re: Cannot get emails. [Mac.]

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you use a anti-virus scanner to scan your emails? If so, I suggest you either tell it to ignore Thunderbird or try a different AV scanner.

I've used numerous AV scanners in the past but a couple of years ago switched to relying upon Windows Defender since its become a competitive product and is far less prone to causing compatibility problems. The only other security software I use is a paid version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware . I'm more worried about malware than viruses nowadays.

I don't know what to recommend you use for OSX. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... antivirus/ talks about the sandboxing on OSX really restricting what AV software from the app store can do.
query323

Post by query323 »

tanstaafl wrote:Do you use a anti-virus scanner to scan your emails? If so, I suggest you either tell it to ignore Thunderbird or try a different AV scanner.

I've used numerous AV scanners in the past but a couple of years ago switched to relying upon Windows Defender since its become a competitive product and is far less prone to causing compatibility problems. The only other security software I use is a paid version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware . I'm more worried about malware than viruses nowadays.

I don't know what to recommend you use for OSX. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... antivirus/ talks about the sandboxing on OSX really restricting what AV software from the app store can do.
I don't think it's anti virus related as I disabled it and it gave the same problem.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Can you send messages using that account?

I suggest you log into outlook.com with a browser and verify that for some unknown reason Microsoft didn't disable POP support for your account. I've read threads where that was done as part of a upgrade of the web site (nothing to do with Thunderbird).

Logging into outlook webmail with a browser would also give you a chance to remove a captcha if one was set due to suspicious activity. Thunderbird has no knowledge that captchas exist.
query323

Post by query323 »

tanstaafl wrote:Can you send messages using that account?

I suggest you log into outlook.com with a browser and verify that for some unknown reason Microsoft didn't disable POP support for your account. I've read threads where that was done as part of a upgrade of the web site (nothing to do with Thunderbird).

Logging into outlook webmail with a browser would also give you a chance to remove a captcha if one was set due to suspicious activity. Thunderbird has no knowledge that captchas exist.
I did just add my emails accounts to the Mac Mail app instead, and everything works fine, but I'd still like to fix this incase.

I also logged in and there was no captcha or anything that required my input, just a straightforward login as usual and ready to send or receive emails. It seems like it's Thunderbird but not sure.

I'm not sure how to check for POP support changes in the account, couldn't locate it. Any idea?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Click on the gear like icon (upper right corner next to '?') used for settings.

mail -> sync email -> POP & IMAP

Enable "let devices and apps use POP"
query323

Post by query323 »

tanstaafl wrote:Log into outlook.com using a browser.

Click on the gear like icon (upper right corner next to '?') used for settings.

mail -> sync email -> POP & IMAP

Enable "let devices and apps use POP"
Thank you for your replies thus far. The "Let devices and apps use POP" was already enabled.

However, underneath that setting, I noticed, the POP settings have changed.
After updating them to the new info below, I can start receiving emails again, therefor my issue is solved! Thanks for your support O:)

These are the new settings for anyone else that might be having this problem now or down the line:

POP Settings
Server name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: TLS

SMTP Settings
Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS