What deal does FF make with advertisers?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MozillaMonkey

What deal does FF make with advertisers?

Post by MozillaMonkey »

And how does it work exactly?

For example, I recently visited a site that I hadn't visited for at least a year.
All of a sudden FF is broadcasting ads for this site.
How does FF know to do this and why is it doing it?

I could be visiting an entirely unrelated site and there is an ad for the above site on the right of the screen.
Or even now, as I am typing this topic, there is a scrolling ad for the site at the top of the screen!
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: What deal does FF make with advertisers?

Post by malliz »

Mozilla is not doing that. It is either google or you have picked up some malware from somewhere
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

malliz wrote:Mozilla is not doing that. It is either google or you have picked up some malware from somewhere
Thanks for helping out.
Let's try to narrow this one down.

I just did an experiment.
I visited this exact page using FF with profileA, profileB and Google Chrome.

In the exact same locations on the page (top and bottom center) there are ads on all three.
I am now seeing different ads for all three.

So I still would like to know how FF knew to target me with the ad I mentioned in my initial post.
Why does FF have ads in these locations? Is is trying to make money from them?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Ads are usually rotating and if you reload the page then you likely get a different ad.
Ad websites also can store data in a cookie about what ads you have seen and then show a different ad.
Enhanced Tracking Protection can block a lot of these third-party ads.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/en ... ox-desktop
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Not on the version he's using dick.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

OK, so no ETP on Windows XP, but regular TPT can still block content if the shield is visible and there might still be content blocking extensions installed in either profiles.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ion/133335
James

Post by James »

MozillaMonkey wrote:I could be visiting an entirely unrelated site and there is an ad for the above site on the right of the screen.
Or even now, as I am typing this topic, there is a scrolling ad for the site at the top of the screen!
The independent mozillaZine.org site is owned and admin by one person and he has been using the Ads to help with costs. The Google Ads are there regardless of the web browser you are using unless you use some measure to hide or block them.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

James wrote:
MozillaMonkey wrote:I could be visiting an entirely unrelated site and there is an ad for the above site on the right of the screen.
The independent mozillaZine.org site is owned and admin by one person and he has bee using the Ads to help with costs. The Google Ads are there regardless of the web browser you are using unless you use some measure to hide or block them.
Ah I see. Thanks James, this is the info I was hoping to find out about.