untrusted connection - only SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Justinh

untrusted connection - only SM

Post by Justinh »

Why does SM 2.53.4 block connection to https://community.windows.com/en-us/vid ... c7_mWN0wi8 with "Unstrusted Connection"? It seems every other browser likes the site.

"community.windows.com uses an invalid security certificate"
ndebord

Re: untrusted connection - only SM

Post by ndebord »

Justinh wrote:Why does SM 2.53.4 block connection to https://community.windows.com/en-us/vid ... c7_mWN0wi8 with "Unstrusted Connection"? It seems every other browser likes the site.

"community.windows.com uses an invalid security certificate"
Justinh,

No problems with that site for me.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

ndebord wrote: No problems with that site for me.
Does this mean you've forced some non-default/automatic cert stores in the past? Have you added an exception before (and forgot about it)?
"The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported."
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Justinh wrote:
ndebord wrote: No problems with that site for me.
Does this mean you've forced some non-default/automatic cert stores in the past? Have you added an exception before (and forgot about it)?
"The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported."
Justinh,

I have not bothered to save non-default cert stores, nor have I added exceptions. Will have to look if something happened automatically, but don't think so.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote: "The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported."
With that message, you go to 'I understand the risk' bit and then View the certificate that it needs and then import it in Prefs/Priv&Sec/Certs, having download it first as a .crl.

The cert it's looking for is GlobalSign Organization Validation CA - SHA256 - G3.

I also toggled security.enterprise_roots.enabled to True in about:config.

The general principles outlined above apply to most/all cert. type problems and this stuff is good to know for everyone, just because it can hit when you least want it and fixing it yourself saves a lot of time.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

Works fine here.

If in doubt suspect you favorite antivirus software playing man in the middle.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:If in doubt suspect you favorite antivirus software playing man in the middle.
...or even the router! Years back, I had that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Since there is no problem with another browser on the same computer, it is not AV or the router.

Why isn't security.enterprise_roots.enabled set to true by default?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:Since there is no problem with another browser on the same computer, it is not AV or the router.
Poor logic.

AV and routers can, and have, blocked individual versions of browsers and stopped them connecting to websites (this used to happen almost every update with Firefox). They have also selectively blocked random websites and thrown up SSL warnings for legit sites, without any obvious pattern and so on.

Hundreds of threads - https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=003258325 ... irus&sa=Go

..all with guys doing the exact same 'Since there is no problem with another browser on the same computer, it is not AV or the router.' with the exact same certainty, all without any testing, year after damn year.
therube

Post by therube »

only SM
Au contraire - on my end.

FF 84 nightly.
Pale Moon 28.14.2.
SeaMonkey 2.53.6beta.
SeaMonkey 2.49.5. ... ALL fail.
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to community.windows.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/se ... ot-connect

Interesting situation, as I see it.
(I'm not going to reset modem/router to see if that fixes it, but would be nice to know.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:Interesting situation, as I see it.
(I'm not going to reset modem/router to see if that fixes it, but would be nice to know.)
Perhaps I write too subtly for you? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14876733

i.e. in this case, the required cert didn't exist in SM, certainly not on mine, and therefore needed to be added.