Post by write_again »

If I visit safeway.com with seamonkey and try to do a search:
Memory use climbs to over 1.1 gigs.
Seamonkey shows "not responding"
CPU usage increases.

If I disable Javascript for browser and do a search:
I get the spinning sticks.

IF I switch to FireFox, it works.

Seamonkey does work with Nob Hill/Railey's.
I suppose the easiest fix is not to shop online for food.
RDaneel

Re: Safeway stores(Safewy.com) does not support Seamonkey

Post by RDaneel »

... or just use a different browser for these [still relatively infrequent] "problem" sites (that's what I do for safeway.com, anyway). ;)

And that is after either exhausting attempts with the UA string, or just not wanting to go down that rabbit hole.
Last edited by RDaneel on November 1st, 2020, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

safeway.com works fine for me, including the search feature. I do disable the scripts when that popup appears, but this not a problem.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

write_again wrote:If I visit safeway.com with seamonkey and try to do a search:
Memory use climbs to over 1.1 gigs.
Seamonkey shows "not responding"
CPU usage increases.

If I disable Javascript for browser and do a search:
I get the spinning sticks.

IF I switch to FireFox, it works.

Seamonkey does work with Nob Hill/Railey's.
I suppose the easiest fix is not to shop online for food.
write_again,

Same here. The site stalls SeaMonkey... memory quickly jumps up to way over 1 gig. Have to use Task Manager to close out SM and reboot the browser.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I wonder why the difference. My memory usage jumps about 50MB when launching safeway.com and stays at that level when launching a search. I do click to stop the scripts when the popup appears.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

Safeway stores(Safewy.com) does not support Seamonkey
True.
Report it to them! (Though you'll need to use a different browser to do so ;-).)

They send me "coupons".
I tell them I can't use their coupons because I can't load them in their browser.
Therefore - I won't make my purchases at Safeway.

So their site uses, whatever crap (Google related probably), & it blows up SeaMonkey (probably Pale Moon too?), so guess what, I don't use them.

Anyhow, if you don't tell them, they're likely not to know.

PM: Safeway market website fails to work in Pale Moon
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
write_again

Post by write_again »

Report it to them! (Though you'll need to use a different browser to do so
Since the Safeway.com site works with Firefox, Edge, Chromium, Epic and Chrome, I can
imagine how eager they want a few Seamonkey browsers to see the page. 8-[ I get the
same response using a computer with 4 times the memory and better speed.
I suspect the problem is more with Seamonkey browser than Safeway. Remember
at least one person has read this entry and said there is no problem with viewing
Safeway.com with Seamonkey browser. So, I have only my experience as evidence.
(Browsershot service is no longer functioning.)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

write_again wrote: Since the Safeway.com site works with Firefox, Edge, Chromium, Epic and Chrome, I can
imagine how eager they want a few Seamonkey browsers to see the page.
Exactly. The response even from ISP/software/hardware vendors is "Sea-what-the-heck?". I'll tell them it is a Fx variant (but not that it is with a very old core!). But if it works on other browsers their enthusiasm to help reduces quickly.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

write_again wrote:
Report it to them! (Though you'll need to use a different browser to do so
Since the Safeway.com site works with Firefox, Edge, Chromium, Epic and Chrome, I can
imagine how eager they want a few Seamonkey browsers to see the page. 8-[ I get the
same response using a computer with 4 times the memory and better speed.
I suspect the problem is more with Seamonkey browser than Safeway. Remember
at least one person has read this entry and said there is no problem with viewing
Safeway.com with Seamonkey browser. So, I have only my experience as evidence.
(Browsershot service is no longer functioning.)
The problem is almost certainly on their side. I'd wager that their browser-sniffing script is tripping over our useragent and then their scripts do something stupid because of it.

But they sure don't care. "Use a supported browser" is the official mantra of webdev these days.
therube

Post by therube »

So because your browser isn't "officially supported", or they use nonsense coding on their websites, you just give up & go home?
If you just disappear into the darkness how do you expect any change to happen?
Sometimes you've got to fight! Might not get you anywhere, but hey, it sure feels good :-).

And then they came for me, & there was no one left to speak for me (or something like that, it said).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

therube wrote:So because your browser isn't "officially supported", or they use nonsense coding on their websites, you just give up & go home?
If you just disappear into the darkness how do you expect any change to happen?
Sometimes you've got to fight! Might not get you anywhere, but hey, it sure feels good :-).

And then they came for me, & there was no one left to speak for me (or something like that, it said).
I couldn't agree more. Does anyone remember the "Any Browser" site/campaign? I do. As a Linux user, back when sites were "optimized for Internet exploDer," I was always left out. And it pissed me off! I wrote, and called, and pestered until things changed. I'm not saying *I* alone made them change, but my voice added to others did.

Like the OP, I can't use Safeway's sites with SM either. In my case, it would be Vons.com, but since it doesn't work with SM I'm doing my grocery shopping elsewhere. It used to work just fine, way before the pandemic; I'd been shopping with them since around 2006. I don't know when/what changed, but it's useless to me now. Oh well!

UPDATE: This thread inspired me to explore why Vons.com wasn't working. The answer made me laugh out loud! It thinks I'm using an "Unsupported browser
You’re currently using an outdated version of Internet Explorer, update your browser now for greater speed, security, and the best experience on this website."

Ha! I've never used that piece of crap in my life! And, yes, I've contacted Vons--using SM. Just use View | Use Style | None, then scroll down to the contact link; their contact form works fine like that.
write_again

Post by write_again »

I saw an advert. for American Express card and went to the site. I landed on a page that made Seamonkey use 30% of my cpu and 1,030.8 MB of memory.
Heard from a friend about a page on putlocker that did similar.( He now uses Epic browser.)

I guess I will keep using SM until my usual sites get like that.
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

write_again wrote:I saw an advert. for American Express card and went to the site. I landed on a page that made Seamonkey use 30% of my cpu and 1,030.8 MB of memory.
Heard from a friend about a page on putlocker that did similar.( He now uses Epic browser.)

I guess I will keep using SM until my usual sites get like that.
I log in to American Express at least a few times a week, and do not have any issues with their site. I've never bothered checking SM's resource use while there, because there was no reason to.
write_again

Post by write_again »

Another one! Since last month LinkedIn.com shows a --mostly-- blank page with Seamonkey.only.

IF << big if
If you visit linkedin.com All is normal. If you log into the page of your accout
https://www.linkedin.com/in/[USERNAME]/
All there is to see is a blank page with the LN logo.

I reported this, and got an automatic email saying I will hear back in 2 weeks.
It has been three week.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

write_again wrote:Another one! Since last month LinkedIn.com .
Perhaps read the 4 page thread already on it here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14895445 before posting and dancing for joy over your 'new' discovery?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)