SM Pop3 ATT E-Mail Problem

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bob Fam1

SM Pop3 ATT E-Mail Problem

Post by Bob Fam1 »

I have a Pacbell.net e-mail address. I can send mail but can't receive in my e-mail on SM. It worked OK yesterday before ATT assigned me a secure password.

An ATT offsite person had me setup a secure password.

When I setup the inbound.att.net with my e-mail name and the secure password it won't receive any mail I get a message that the login failed. I can send OK.

I am setup as a Pop3 account.

User Name:XXXXXXX
inbound.att.net Port 995
SSL/TLS password
Auth NormalPassword
Password: Secure password as assigned by ATT.

The same setup on outbound.att.net works OK.

I can receive and send mail on att.net which uses a different password. I have tried that password in SM inbound.att and it does not work either.

How can I setup my inbound mail so it works OK?

Thanks, Bob.
Peter Creasey

Re: SM Pop3 ATT E-Mail Problem

Post by Peter Creasey »

Bob, those are the same parameters that I use and they work fine with my swbell.net account. Check that the password is what you think it should be; if yes, then the problem may not be with your settings.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

Thanks Pete. Glad my settings are correct. It's really hard to work with these offshore reps. They have no idea what to do and want to sell me a $49 plan to talk to an onshore rep!

I hate ATT! Bob.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Bob, I've often had pretty good luck posting a question/problem in the appropriate section at https://forums.att.com/ so you might consider going there.

AT&T is really no better or worse than the alternatives.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

Thanks Pete. I'll try that. Bob.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

An example of the GOOD side of AT&T. My wife flew into London and turned off her data, etc to avoid roaming charges; however, the Uber driver got misdirected so that my wife had to turn her roaming ON to help find the right destination. It took about 2 hours.

The roaming bill was ~$100. I called AT&T, explained the situation/problem, and asked if there could be any relief. AT&T totally removed the ~$100 charge from my bill.

Pretty impressive, no?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

I have the same problem. What did you find out Bob?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Be sure you are using the password that AT&T recently required users to generate.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Hi Pete...I know nothing about the password AT&T recently required users to generate. I am on DSL. I can set whatever passwords for my email accounts by going on the ATT webpage and logging in under whatever email address I am using. Then on Seamonkey, type in the new password when the message comes up to type in the password.

I use two email addresses on att.net. One stopped working and the other works OK. I did nothing in my settings...it just happened. I changed the password on line in the ATT accounts section for that address and can get send/receive email when going into the ATT online account section and using my iphone, but not on my computers for that one account. I did not have to do a new password, though. Everything is the same in the setup between my two email addresses on the computers. I think since I can send and receive on the ATT website, then their server is working OK, and it must be more on my end possibly with Seamonkey. It is odd though...I have two other computers and they do the same thing with that particular email address and will not send/receive.

Using that email address, I get a message that says "An error occurred while sending mail, mail server responded, request failed, mailbox unavailable. Please verify your email address is correct in your mail preferences and try again"

What to do?
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

I chatted with ATT US support.They sent me a new secure password and it worked OK. Bob.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

I spent hours messing with it. Talked with the ATT people. Said it was my browser's problem. My poor stomach was twisted in knots. I use that email for a lot of stuff and people.

I tried the secure password thing as assigned by ATT. And it works! Copy and paste the password into the email password on your inbound server. Also, you need the same password in the outbound server, too. ATT did not recognize my old password and the new one they give you is recognized.

You would think ATT people would know, but they do not.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

So, you are saying that you are now good to go with SeaMonky...right?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Yes...Pete. It all works well now. Thanks Pete and you guys,
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

The ATT awful offshore rep was useless. When I spoke to a US based rep he fixed it. They do not supply any support for Seamonkey and will not work with you to help. The secure password worked OK. Bob.