SeaMonkey and Big Sur OS Issues

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Curland

SeaMonkey and Big Sur OS Issues

Post by Curland »

I just installed Big Sur OS on my iMac and when I launched the latest version of SeaMonkey for the Mac, my folder pane is blank and the hundreds of folders I had on the sidebar are gone. And, the bold header that says Website or Inbox, or Addresses is distorted. Any assistance that anyone has that can help restore my folders, especially would be very much appreciated. Is it that SeaMonkey is not quite fully compatible with Big Sur yet? If so, is there a new version in the works that will allow for full compatibility?

Thanks,

Jim
DanRaisch

Re: SeaMonkey and Big Sur OS Issues

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
James

Post by James »

Don't upgrade to Apple Big Sur
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3067089
frg wrote:Today Apple anounced mac OS 11 Big Sur. If you want to continue using SeaMonkey don't upgrade yet. No current version supports it and the upcoming 2.53.5 won't either. It is untested and based on some of the Firefox bugs I saw need more fixes to work fine. I don't have a timeframe for supporting it.

FRG
Curland

Post by Curland »

I honestly don't know what that means? Is that like opening SeaMonkey in a webmail type thing?
frg

Post by frg »

Big Sur is not supported yet. You can try the unofficial SeaMonkey version:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14878061
Curland

Post by Curland »

James,

I saw your post after Dan's. I actually work for Apple and there are many reasons for me needing to upgrade to Big Sur and I already did. SeaMonkey gets my mail OK, but the problems I mentioned with the folders and some other right click options lost, etc. are gone and inconvenient, but I've been using SeaMonkey for many, many years and I just, I guess would have to live with it until an upgrade to SeaMonkey is available. Is there another Mozilla mail program with the same features as SeaMonkey that might be immediately compatible with Big Sur?
Curland

Post by Curland »

What is the "unofficial SeaMonkey version" mean that frg spoke about?
frg

Post by frg »

Curland

Post by Curland »

I just installed this build: 2.53.7b1 and I get the error message when I try to launch it:

“SeaMonkey” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.
macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."

Is there anything I can do to get this to work until a non-beta version comes out?
frg

Post by frg »

You can start by reading the release notes for the latest official version or use this:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/m ... h40616/mac
Curland

Post by Curland »

I've been trying to find the latest official version that would work, but what is it and where is the download for it? Thanks for that info. I'm trying to send out an email holiday card and am running in to big issues due to the Big Sur incompatability.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Curland wrote:I've been trying to find the latest official version that would work, but what is it and where is the download for it?
C, here you go...

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Curland

Post by Curland »

Hi,

I tried 2.53.5.1 and used frg's Apple support article which says to open the app using control click, but I still get that error message:

“SeaMonkey” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.
macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."
Curland

Post by Curland »

Peter Creasey and frg, you both are life savers. I had to go in to the Security and Privacy preferences and click "Open Anyway" for SeaMonkey and that enabled me to open the 2.53.5.1 version and then I was able to send my email holiday card and all of the folders and things I had been missing from SeaMonkey 2.53.4 after upgrading to Big Sur are now available in 2.53.5.1. Do either of you know the stability of this latest version of SeaMonkey? I thought I read someone saying there may be issues and there was a newer build. Any insights, etc. would be much appreciated!!! But, I'm so grateful to both of you for getting me to be able to do this.

Now, in the future, when I open SeaMonkey in this latest version will I have to go back to the Security and Privacy preferences and again say to "Open Anyway" or after that initial time, will it allow me to open it in the future without doing this?

Happy Holidays and New Year!!
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

C, I can't imagine where you heard the less than favorable opinions on 2.53.5.1. It is certainly serving me well and I have not heard any reports that raise the level of concern.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete