Using gmail

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Anonymosity

Using gmail

Post by Anonymosity »

Is it possible to use SeaMonkey to access gmail? I have tried to set up an account with the proper settings, but I only get an error message.
"Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum number of connections to this server. If so, use the Advanced IMAP Server Settings dialogue to reduce the number of cached connections."
I do not see settings for cached connections.
I just found that, but what is meant by "IMAP Server Directory"?
RDaneel

Re: Using gmail

Post by RDaneel »

This may not be of direct help, but I successfully use gmail's POP server as my "second mail tab" in SeaMonkey.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote:Is it possible to use SeaMonkey to access gmail?
Er, only for the last 50 years or so, both in the browser and email client.

I have mine using Pop. But, you should check you have enabled IMAP -

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en-GB
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

It suddenly worked. I am not sure which of my tinkering did it, but it now works. Google is not too helpful with its instructions.
I wonder why I could never get Thunderbird to work with gmail?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I wonder why I could never get Thunderbird to work with gmail?
Could be a matter of settings in Thunderbird or the Gmail web page settings dialogue. Either way, it works fine in every Thunderbird version I've used for the past 10+ years.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The problem with Thunderbird and Gmail is the web page settings. Google will not recognize the account if the web page comes from Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Google will not recognize the account if the web page comes from Thunderbird.
Please clarify that. How is a web page coming from Thunderbird?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Thunderbird creates a page that looks like a web page to finalize the setup. Google does not seem to recognize the account if the page comes from Thunderbird.
I decided to try the more tedious method to get Gmail working. I copied the settings from SeaMonkey, which I did finally get to work with Gmail. I also copied the passwords from SeaMonkey. I can now access the Gmail from Thunderbird, though the account folder does not have all the subfolders it should have.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are the accounts in SeaMonkey and in Thunderbird set up to use the same email protocol?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
In SeaMonkey, the path is Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type".
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

It is the same account with the same server, username, protocol, port number, authentication (which it should be since I copied the settings for mail from prefs.js in SeaMonkey to prefs.js in Thunderbird). I also copied the password fine and decryption key from SM to TB. I do not get the Gmail folder added to my account in Tbird as I do with SeaMonkey.
jazei-AR

Post by jazei-AR »

I use Thunderbird so when I install SM, I get all data of config exported to SM.. I just do manually only the import of emails address, but all config were auto imported well... may be if you install thunderbird it helps you to use sm.
regards,
josé
From Argentine, using Win 7 pro 64 bit on intel Celeron inside!!!!, 4Gb RAM, Browsers: seamonkey 32 bits & Ungoogle Chromium.
and my RAM Use is always going up to the clouds...
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I had to do it the other way around, using my more roundabout method. I was tinkering with settings with both applications, but SeaMonkey worked first.