Why re-download email for IMAP acc after moving TB folder?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thoste

Why re-download email for IMAP acc after moving TB folder?

Post by thoste »

I am running portable Thunderbird with 1 IMAP account and several POP3(S) accounts with "maildir" msg format.

Now I move the whole Thunderbird installation folder with "profile" subfolders to another location on my partition.

After restart I observed that TB re-downloads all IMAP message (again). For all my POP3 accounts this is not the case.

Why does TB think it is necessary to re-download the IMAP messages (only)?

Can I prevent it and tell TB to use the existing message files?
tanstaafl

Re: Why re-download email for IMAP acc after moving TB folde

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you update the local directory setting in the IMAP account's server settings to use the new location?
thoste

Post by thoste »

No, I did not do that but it was automatically adjusted from Thunderbird.

So if this is the reason: Why are there no auto-downloads for my POP3 accounts but only my IMAP account?

I didn't adjust their pathes
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You probably still have your popstate.dat file that remembers what messages you downloaded for your POP accounts. So it will only download new messages.

The IMAP account is probably re-downloading because it can no longer find the old "offline folders" (you changed the local directory and didn't copy the files), nothing to do with whether they are new messages or not. Keep in mind that as long as you are in online mode it does not display those downloaded messages. They're only there in case you switch to working offline, and as a way to avoid global search/indexing from having to fetch its own copy of the messages to build its search index.
thoste

Post by thoste »

Good idea. Thank you