FIREFOX NOT LOADING AFTER NEW betaINSTALL

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
randyandy

FIREFOX NOT LOADING AFTER NEW betaINSTALL

Post by randyandy »

Good day. Immediately after installing Firefox Version 84.0 beta 1 today (11-17-20,) Firefox will not open 'to my main Google
page.

When I attempt to open Firefox it goes no further than 'new tab' leaving me with a blank page. Only when I click on the house icon do I get the Firefox Home page and access to Google.

Your input to help solve this problem is appreciated.

Regards
DanRaisch

Re: FIREFOX NOT LOADING AFTER NEW betaINSTALL

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions are best discussed.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

randyandy wrote:Good day. Immediately after installing Firefox Version 84.0 beta 1 today (11-17-20,) Firefox will not open 'to my main Google
page.

When I attempt to open Firefox it goes no further than 'new tab' leaving me with a blank page. Only when I click on the house icon do I get the Firefox Home page and access to Google.

Your input to help solve this problem is appreciated.

Regards
did you try in Safe Mode ?
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Hi Snake4. No luck using the Safe Mode. Disengaged add-ons. Opened Firefox and it still won't go to my Google main page. Stops with 'new tab' and a blank page.
I click the house icon and this takes me to Google main page.

A glitch perhaps in this beta version.? Anyone else having the same problem?

We'll soldier on until some gifted Firefox tech produces a fix for my problem.
Cheers to all.
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Hello. An update on my problem that started immediately after installing 84.0 beta 1 11-17-20. I can not engage my Google main page. It stops on 'new tab' with a blank page.
A short time ago I installed Firefox update Version 84.0 beta 2. When I clicked on restart the 'new tab' with a moving dot lasted about 15 seconds....but lo and behold, the Google main page
appeared. But when I closed Firefox and opened it again....the new tab appeared with the dot. In the lower left corner of the blank page I could see http://www.google.ca . But the problem persists.
The forward progress or lack of it stops on 'new tab'

I also can't open a YouTube link in my email program. Firefox opens and same thing, stops on 'new tab', main page empty.

. But the culprit must exist somewhere in Version 84 beta 1 and 2. My Firefox performed without a glitch before I installed 84 beta 1.

As always I appreciate the help forum members offer me
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

I just installed the new FF beta update V84.0 beta 3. Unfortunately after clicking restart Firefox reopened to' new tab' with a dark pulsating dot and stopped. The same blank page that started immediately after installing V 84.0 beta 1 hasn't been corrected. Firefox failed to complete the function and open the Google main page. I go to Options and Search. It shows Google as the default search engine. Everything in Options is as it should be unless the first of the 84 series altered things. . Anyway the glitch that started after the install of 84 beta 1 is still hounding me.
As you can see from my notes above I followed the advise of Snake 4 using the Safe Mode without success.

Nothing much I can do until I get a beta update that corrects the problem. Is there anyone else on the beta channel having the same problem? ...(I'm remaining faithful to Windows 7)

Biding my time. Regards.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Do you have any add-ons that mess with containers and are containers enabled?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Make sure you're firewall isn't blocking Firefox. Sometimes a new version can cause problems.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Hello bjherbison and smsmith. I have four add-ons that have been compatible with Firefox functions. No problems . Afraid I'm not familiar with 'containers enabled'. I accept the settings found under Options set by Firefox. I don't mess with them. Mcafee firewall has lived in harmony with all
computer functions for as long as I installed it. As I've said in the foregoing emails starting with the first.....Firefox worked perfectly and opened to my Google main page every time....UNTIL...
I installed V 84.0 beta 1. When I clicked on restart after the download the page stopped at 'new tab'. I can see the Google address in the lower left corner trying to engage. It disappears when
the moving black dot stops beside 'new tab'. Blank page.
I've also mentioned that if i click on the house icon the Google main page appears and I can go about my business.This may have to become the new norm.
Thanks for your suggestions. Not applicable with this problem it appears. Some part of the V 84,0,1 install altered my ability to open Firefox and the Google main page. Two further beta updates
didn't correct the issue. Regards.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

I'm sorry. All I can suggest now is mozregression and find the fix that caused the problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Every update of a browser may be perceived by an anti-virus program as a different application. Just because McAffee allowed earlier versions of Firefox to run without issues doesn't guarantee that the next Firefox update will work properly with the firewall between it and the Internet.

Has the computer been rebooted since you installed the latest beta?
Have you reviewed the permissions list of McAffee to see if Firefox 84 is a permitted or blocked application?

Have you tried rebooting the computer to Windows Safe Mode with Networking since installing the newest beta? That would temporarily (until the next reboot) take McAffee out of the picture so you can see if it is causing any issues. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-w ... de-2624540
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Good day Dan. I did reboot after the install of 84.0.1 . No change to the problem. McAfee Firewall shows for FIREFOX ' designated ports ON'. McAfee issued no warning when 84.0.beta 1
was introduced to my OS. In my 7 years using McAfee Security Center I have never had the firewall block updates to Firefox or my other browser, Google Chrome....or any other software in use.

Kind regards.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried rebooting the computer to Windows Safe Mode with Networking since installing the newest beta? That would temporarily (until the next reboot) take McAffee out of the picture so you can see if it is causing any issues. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-w ... de-2624540
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Dan, ran Windows Safe Mode with Networking. When I opened Firefox...it went no further than 'new tab' and stopped. Failed to connect with Google main page.

In the meantime, and as I mentioned earlier, quick as you can blink I can click on the House icon and my Google main page jumps into action immediately. So I can cope while the 'new tab glitch'

that started with the install of 84.0.1 with no changes for versions 2 and 3, remains a mystery. Firefox has a highly skilled team shaping the new beta updates. I'll leave it to them to find and fix the glitch.

Good night from Beautiful British Columbia.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If you did not have Beta previously installed, when you installed it, a new profile should have been created automatically. Perhaps you have the new profile set to open to a new tab rather than your homepage? Or maybe it's an old profile that the setting was somehow changed in?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.