I have three accounts with the same Account Name

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Nisko555

I have three accounts with the same Account Name

Post by Nisko555 »

I have three accounts with the same name. Two of the accounts are the same email address - one is POP and one is IMAP. I want to delete the POP account but don't know how to distinguish between the two.

The third account I named the sam as the other two accounts - but I can't get into the settings to change the account name. All three accounts are my personal accounts.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thank you.
tanstaafl

Re: I have three accounts with the same Account Name

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird (especially the new account wizard) expects a unique combination of the account type (POP/IMAP), mail server name, and username. So its okay to have both a POP and a IMAP account for the same email address at the same time, or to have 15 Gmail POP accounts.

Lets say your two accounts for the same email address are named xyz. In tools -> account settings -> xyz -> server settings look at the Server Type field in the upper left corner. If it says Server Type: IMAP Mail Server its a IMAP account. If it says Server Type: POP Mail Server its a POP account.

"I can't get into the settings to change the account name"
I dimly remember tools -> account manager might not run if the same account name is used for two accounts. You can either edit it in prefs.js using a text editor such as notepad or use the config editor. Its probably best to backup the prefs.js file and then search for the account name. I have a account named fastmail. That string is also used in the email address so it shows up frequently. I know its account 1, so it uses server1 (same id) to store most of its settings.

user_pref("mail.account.account1.server", "server1");
user_pref("mail.server.server1.name", "fastmail");

So I'd edit the string stored in mail.server.server1.name to change the account name. You basically need to look at each mail.server.serverX.name (where X is a digit) to find the account name and edit it. If the string is a email address, you made a mistake. Your two accounts with have different values of X, but you only need to modify one accounts name.

Don't get flustered by the fact most of the settings in prefs.js look like gibberish.
Nisko555

Post by Nisko555 »

Thank you. Now, where do I find the prefs.js file? I've looked for it - but can't find it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder (pick the button next to "profile folder", not "update folder") should open windows explorer at your profile. If you can't see prefs.js then you need to modify your windows explorer view settings to view all files/stop hiding file extensions
Nisko555

Post by Nisko555 »

OK, I've got it straightened out. Now, for my next problem (I'm having difficulty understanding this new version of TB).

I'm setting up filters that, I think, used to be applied to all incoming and outgoing mail. But I now have two accounts and it appears that I have to set up filters for each of the accounts - so I have to end up with two sets of filters. Is that true? I only want to have one set of filters for all my incoming and outgoing emails - regardless of the account. Thank you.
Nisko555

Post by Nisko555 »

Another note: I used to be able to run filters immediately after creating one - to test if it worked as I expected it to. Now, the "Run Now" is greyed out.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you only have POP accounts and configure them to use a global inbox you can use a single set of filters for all accounts. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox if you're interested.
Nisko555

Post by Nisko555 »

One account is POP and the other is IMAP. Only two accounts now.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Then you are out of luck. However, with two accounts it shouldn't be a big deal to make changes to one accounts filters and copy the "msgFilterRules.dat" file from one account to another's local directory.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_Filters
Nisko555

Post by Nisko555 »

What if I could make them both IMAP? I'd have to look into it - but it might be possible.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Only POP accounts can be configured to use a global inbox.

Last time I checked view -> folders -> unified has no effect on message filters so you can't cheat and configure a message filter for a unified inbox.
Nisko555

Post by Nisko555 »

OK, both accounts are now IMAP. I set up filters under Local Folders (not the individual two accounts). Is this correct? I still can't run the filters - the option is greyed out.

I set up two folders under Local Folders - but it took minutes before they showed up.

I'm currently downloading messages for one of my accounts (IMAP) but it's only downloading about one to two messages a minute with 17,000 to go. Why so slow?

Is Correspondents the same as From?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

OK, both accounts are now IMAP. I set up filters under Local Folders (not the individual two accounts) Is this correct?

No. Please re-read my prior posts. Only POP supports a global inbox using Local Folders.

I'm currently downloading messages for one of my accounts (IMAP) but it's only downloading about one to two messages a minute with 17,000 to go. Why so slow?

Not enough information to tell why. However, its a optional background process and you don't need it to download any messages to disk in order to read them like you do with a POP account. You might also be using a email provider that has a undocumented hourly and daily bandwidth limit like Gmail.

Is Correspondents the same as From?
Its functionality keeps changing. It used to include arrows. It can show either the sender or the recipients depending upon what folder you are in. For the inbox, its basically the same as From:.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1134230
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1161351
Nisko555

Post by Nisko555 »

OK, I changed both accounts to POP because I want just one set of filters for both accounts. Now, I can place my filters under one account, the second account or local folders. Which do I choose?

By switching back and forth between pop and IMAP, I've lost the ability to download all the messages that are still stored on the server (when I open Gmail online, I have several thousand emails in my inbox - but TB only downloaded several hundred of them. Is there a way to recoup those thousands of emails to TB?

Thank you again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox . You need to store the filters in Local Folders

"Important: if the account already has messages in the Inbox or other folders, you should copy or move these messages into Local Folders before setting the account to use the Global Inbox. If you don't copy or move the messages into Local Folders and you set the account to use the Global Inbox, the account will no longer be displayed in the folders pane and you will not be able to access those messages unless you go back and undo the Global Inbox setting."

Downloading messages due to synchronization & storage should not effect the POP account. It uses a popstate.dat file to keep track of what its downloaded and if you haven't opened the messages via the IMAP account they're still new.