Seamonkey Mail Problem (Linux)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Tino2

Seamonkey Mail Problem (Linux)

Post by Tino2 »

Hello people!

First of all something about me:
I am German speaking and will try to ask my question using Deepl.
I use Kubuntu Linux 18.04 and newer as operating system.
As email programs I use Thunderbird with two configured addresses (ca.5GB) and
Seamonkey also with two configured addresses (ca.10GB).
Both email programs have been in use for many years. The folders .thunderbird and .mozilla where also Seamonkey is located I simply copied back to the /home directory of the user.
Now it is so:
Thunderbird updates itself via the Linux package management. Seamonkey no longer does, because it is no longer included there. So I always downloaded it manually.
Today it looks like that there are always new packages that I download and unpack. That worked also up to the version 2.53.1. My mails were always included.
I have now tested the new package 2.53.5.1.
Unfortunately there is only one window with the url bar and two more.
Surfing is not possible and there is nothing where I can see my mails. I also read this note"

You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your profile before upgrading from a version earlier than SeaMonkey 2.53.1. This version of SeaMonkey makes changes to your profile that can't be reverted in cases where you need to go back to the older version.

Automatic upgrades from previous versions are currently disabled for this release. Please download the full installer from the downloads section and install SeaMonkey 2.53.3 manually over the previous version."
But this does not help me. How do I get the new version working again with my 10 GB mails. Or how can I migrate the two configured mails from Seamonkey to Thunderbird in a simple way? The folder structure must be preserved and as I said Thunderbird already has two configured mails.
I prefer to stay with Seamonkey, because my wife prefers it. Maybe the effort there is also less.

MfG.Tino2

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Last edited by DanRaisch on December 26th, 2020, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
Frank Lion

Re: Seamonkey Mail Problem

Post by Frank Lion »

This problem has nothing really to do with mail at all, other than that side is important to you. Let's strip away all the information that is not needed and we're left with -
Tino2 wrote:Today it looks like that there are always new packages that I download and unpack. That worked also up to the version 2.53.1. My mails were always included.
I have now tested the new package 2.53.5.1.
Unfortunately there is only one window with the url bar and two more.
Surfing is not possible and there is nothing where I can see my mails.
Your choice are -

#1. Stick with 2.53.5.1 and if so, follow this to troubleshoot the problem -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867877

#2. Go back to using the 2.53.1 that you had before. You can do this by downloading the tar.bz2 from here https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.53.1 extract it to home and run it, as a test, from there. This will not interfere with your installed 2.53.5.1 version.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Tino2

Re: Seamonkey Mail Problem (Linux)

Post by Tino2 »

Hello Frank!

I'm back to 2.53.1. works again too.
Unfortunately my questions are not answered.

How do I get my mail accounts from the 2.53.1 to the 2.53.5.1?
Also the browser with all passwords does not work.
Did they rebuild that much internally?
I don't want to stay with the 2.53.1, because with the 2.53.5.1 surely also security updates are included.
How is that done now?

MfG.Tino2
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tino2 wrote:Hello Frank!

I'm back to 2.53.1. works again too.
Unfortunately my questions are not answered.
Hi,

Quite, but one of my question was. We now know that the profile is OK.

As a Linux user knowing that your Emails are stored in your profile, I'm sure that you have already backed up your .mozilla folder many times in the past. If not, then please do so now.
Tino2 wrote:How do I get my mail accounts from the 2.53.1 to the 2.53.5.1?
Also the browser with all passwords does not work.
Did they rebuild that much internally?
I don't want to stay with the 2.53.1, because with the 2.53.5.1 surely also security updates are included.
How is that done now?
I already knew that you would prefer to use 2.53.5.1, but we will make faster progress to that goal if you now answer questions, rather than ask them.

Using 2.53.5.1, what are the answers to questions #1 - #6 here? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867877

To create the new testing profile on Linux, just exit SeaMonkey, rename .mozillameinguter or similar and then restart SeaMonkey and a new .mozilla will be auto-created. This can be deleted later and the original one renamed back again.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Tino2

Post by Tino2 »

Hello Frank!

Here first the answers you need.

#0.5. I am currently using version 2.53.1 on a Kubuntu 18.04. This vesion works and no UA has been set. But would like to use the latest version 2.53.5.1.

#1. I started Seamonkey in save mode and previously disabled all items after the question.It now starts Seamonkey and works fine. Seamonkey now starts in the Seamonkey Standard Theme. If I now click on Mail at the bottom, my configured mails are not displayed there, but the wizard for setting up a mail account appears.
#2 I have not tested yet
#3 In the old 53.1 I had the Modern Theme. In Safe mode the new Standard theme is default.
#4. in version 2.53.1 are installed as extensions:
Language Pack 2.53.1
Reminder Fox 2.2.6.3
ChatZilla 0.9.94
DOM Inspector 2.0.17.2

#5. i didn't make any changes in userChrome.css and userContent.css
#6. i have not made any changes in about:config.
#7. i have no problems with websites since i started in safe mode.
#8. i have no antivirus software installed on linux.
#9. i have 8 GB Ram and so far no problems, neither with Windows nor Linux.
#10. I have not made any changes.

So now it works!!!
I have done the following.
Started the old version set the theme to default standard and deleted all add on. In the directory /.mozilla/seamonkey/z1ehqaxs.default renamed the folder extensions. Then downloaded the German Seamonkey package 2.53.5.1 and executed the seamonkey.bin.
My mails, bookmarks, passwords are all back. I did not have to set up anything.
But thanks for your help and time. And yes i regularly backup the folder .mozilla/seamonkey/z1ehqaxs.default

I just have to see how to move this profile into Thunderbird. Thunderbird already has two mails set up. But that's another project for now. I hope the Seamonkey project will continue. The main thing is to get security updates. My wife loves Seamonkey.

Have a nice day until the new year!

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tino2 wrote:So now it works!!!..
..My mails, bookmarks, passwords are all back. I did not have to set up anything.

...Have a nice day until the new year!
Glad you sorted it and a Happy New Year to you as well.

* For other people reading this ** - SafeMode is only a diagnostic step and once you have found the cause of the problem, you can then run SeaMonkey in the Normal Mode again.

So, if OK in Safemode, go to the Tools> Addons Manager and disable your usual theme (if any) and disable any extensions one at a time (or disable half of them if you have a lot) and then restart in Normal Mode. Repeat this process until the problem extension/theme has been found.

If none of the above fixes the problem, then one of the less likely things that SafeMode also disables, would also need to be looked at.

But....usually it's a faulty extension causing the problem.