A Java intrusion

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
meditek

A Java intrusion

Post by meditek »

Without being asked or doing anything consciously an incredibly annoying feature has been added to firefox that may well be associated with Bing. It consists of the lower part of the firefox screen being taken up by a load of Java (which I don't have loaded) attempting to help me improve my experience with headings, Inspector, console, debugger, style editor, performance, memory etc. There is no obvious way to get rid of it, as like windows 10 the help is long outdated and doesn't take you to where you want.
Very simply how do I neutralise this damn thing as I cannot find it in options.
Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: A Java intrusion

Post by DanRaisch »

Try clicking on the "X" at the right hand end of header bar of that section, or pressing Ctrl+Shift+I to close down that function.
meditek

Post by meditek »

DanRaisch wrote:Try clicking on the "X" at the right hand end of header bar of that section, or pressing Ctrl+Shift+I to close down that function.
Yes but I don't want the thing popping up in the first place. It's supposed to be zappable in options according to the out of date help info.Nothing more annoying than coders making changes without updating HELP links.
Why do I need this? I actually like Bing to start my day but to get around not being immediately able to type in the search box I recorded a macro that this intrusion keeps fouling up. Just tell me where to disable it please.
Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you close it, it shouldn't pop up again the next time the browser starts.

And which "out of date help" are you referring to? If you mean the Knowledge base on these forums, the coders have nothing to do wit that. These forms are nor run by nor are they an official part of MoIzilla. We're an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site.
To which specific help entry are you referring?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

More than likely the OP has hit F12 accidentally. As Dan said this is nothing to do with Java as I am pretty sure it is no longer pre installed in windows and I know its dead in Firefox
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
James

Post by James »

Firefox since the Fx 52.0 Release has only allowed one NPAPI Plugin to run and that is the soon to be EOL Flash Player from Adobe.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/JavaScript_is_not_Java
morat

Post by morat »

I believe the devtools.policy.disabled preference completely disables devtools.
meditek

Post by meditek »

Thanks for the help. The problem is sorted. All my fault. I had been using a Macro generator that offered F12 as an activation key which I was using.
As for the help, Whilst fooling around with the console I came up with a help link to turn it off in options. Obviously it must have been referring to Edge options I realise.
Now I'm looking for a way to get rid of the MS reminders etc that pop up down there whenever I use Bing.
meditek

Post by meditek »

Don't know how long it will last but changing devtools.policy.disabled to true has also got rid of the intrusive MS stuff as well! :?