Thunderbird email filtering

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Knowles20

Thunderbird email filtering

Post by Knowles20 »

So i'm looking to start using Thunderbird as our main email software, and so far we are happy with this however I'm looking to see if there would be a way to manage email filtering into folders based on customers emailing forwarding email addresses.
So to explain, I have a website that has different emails for different "departments" each of these different emails all forward to our main inbox, is there a way to organise message filtering within thunderbird this way? so for example, all emails sent to support@email.com are forwarded to the main email and within Thunderbird then go into a specific folder based on the email address, rather than a keyword?

I doubt it's possible this way but thought I'd chance my arm and see if it was.

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird email filtering

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. In tools -> message filters create a new filter with "To:" "contains" "support@email.com" and in the actions set "Forward message to" "desired recipient".

Its usually safer to use "contains" rather than "is" unless you have other email addresses that use support as part of their username.

Many email providers support server side filtering (configure it via webmail using a browser, despite you filtering it that way it effects what Thunderbird sees). If yours does its usually a better idea to use it instead of Thunderbird's message filtering as it will work automatically when the message is received at the server (Thunderbird doesn't need to be running), you don't need to worry about potential logjams if you use a POP account (where it tried to download a message with bad headers or a bad MIME layout, failed and doesn't skip over to the next new message) and it can handle huge amounts of new mail to be forwarded better.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en is an example of server side filtering, though gmail just calls it filtering.
Knowles20

Post by Knowles20 »

tanstaafl wrote:Yes. In tools -> message filters create a new filter with "To:" "contains" "support@email.com" and in the actions set "Forward message to" "desired recipient".

Its usually safer to use "contains" rather than "is" unless you have other email addresses that use support as part of their username.

Many email providers support server side filtering (configure it via webmail using a browser, despite you filtering it that way it effects what Thunderbird sees). If yours does its usually a better idea to use it instead of Thunderbird's message filtering as it will work automatically when the message is received at the server (Thunderbird doesn't need to be running), you don't need to worry about potential logjams if you use a POP account (where it tried to download a message with bad headers or a bad MIME layout, failed and doesn't skip over to the next new message) and it can handle huge amounts of new mail to be forwarded better.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en is an example of server side filtering, though gmail just calls it filtering.

Going to have a look at this when I am back on my PC in the morning, but from reading your reply I'm not sure I explained myself very well.
So just to double check I have worded this correctly i'll give an example.

Customer emails "sales@email.com" this email is then forwarded to our main email address, and then automatically goes into the "sales" folder within Thunderbird.
Customer emails "marketing@email.com" and the process is the same but goes into the Marketing folder instead.

Is that how you understood my explanation? having read your reply I wondered if I had just misunderstood your solution or if I had not explained myself properly!

Thanks for your help!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes.

In your last example you'd need two filters in order to support forwarding both "sales@email.com" and "marketing@email.com". On whatever machine receives the forwarded mail you'd also need a corresponding filter to move the forwarded message into the desired folder. For example: "To:" "contains" ""marketing@email.com" with action "Move Message to" "marketing"