Captcha's

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bigjeff66

Captcha's

Post by bigjeff66 »

Why do I always get captcha's when using Seamonkey 2.53.5 on my PC. If I use IE no captcha's. Is there a fix for this? Or do I have to live with this?
Thank you
Frank Lion

Re: Captcha's

Post by Frank Lion »

bigjeff66 wrote:Why do I always get captcha's when using Seamonkey 2.53.5 on my PC.
Example websites of where you get this?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

That might be kind of typical, where a "foreign" browser (i.e., most anything not Chrome) is present with captcha, or even better, multiple captcha, where an "accepted" browse (i.e., Chrome) either has no captcha or only a single.

(Part of that might have to do with whether you're logged in to google too. If you're actually logged in, easier to track you...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote:That might be kind of typical, where a "foreign" browser (i.e., most anything not Chrome) is present with captcha, or even better, multiple captcha, where an "accepted" browse (i.e., Chrome) either has no captcha or only a single.

(Part of that might have to do with whether you're logged in to google too. If you're actually logged in, easier to track you...)
therube,

Demanding more captchas from SeaMonkey is the normal, not an outlier. Happens on too many sites to list here. Either I wade through the multiple asks and click on many a fire hydrant, etc. or I give in and and open up in Edge Dev.

Just sayin'

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

bigjeff66 wrote:Why do I always get captcha's when using Seamonkey 2.53.5 on my PC.
therube wrote:That might be kind of typical
ndebord wrote:Happens on too many sites to list here.
Bearing in mind that you are all posting in the SeaMonkey Support Forum, as opposed to the Old Women's Gossip Forum, wouldn't it be a good idea to, at least, attempt to give some examples of what you're all complaining about?

Just sayin'

Btw use the Audio challenge on any Captchas, as they are far easier.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
therube wrote:That might be kind of typical
ndebord wrote:Happens on too many sites to list here.
Bearing in mind that you are all posting in the SeaMonkey Support Forum, as opposed to the Old Women's Gossip Forum, wouldn't it be a good idea to, at least, attempt to give some examples of what you're all complaining about?

Just sayin'

Btw use the Audio challenge on any Captchas, as they are far easier.
Frank,

You're right, but I'm not as disciplined as you are. The audio challenge is not something I had contemplated before. Thanks.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Just throwing my $0.02 into the mix: I switched from using FF to SM for a certain site (which used to bomb out with earlier versions of SM), and I can confirm that SM definitely provokes captchas, whereas FF does not. With FF, all I have to do is 'check' the captcha box; with SM, I do that and then have to solve multiple select-certain-photos challenges. Very annoying.

Kindly note, I'm not asking for anyone to verify that this happens to them, too; I'm stating that it does happen to me. I'm choosing not to share the site's name.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:I'm stating that it does happen to me.
I'm stating it does happen to everyone else as well, over time.

It's also worth noting that 50% of the time it can be fixed at the user end, but only if the problem website is not a guarded secret.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, what do you have in mind when you say "50% of the time it can be fixed at the user end"?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Peter Creasey wrote:Frank, what do you have in mind when you say "50% of the time it can be fixed at the user end"?
Yes, I'd like to know that, too. With the site I have in mind, there's no 50% involved. It's 100% when using SM, 0% when using FF.

And, Frank, surely you can respect a person's desire not to share everything they do publicly, right? I happen not to want to share the site's name here. That's my right and choice, so kindly respect that.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Yes, I'd like to know that, too
Good for you.
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:With the site I have in mind, there's no 50% involved. It's 100% when using SM, 0% when using FF.
*sigh* not 50% of the time with 1 site, 50% of the total number of sites where capchas appear.
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:And, Frank, surely you can respect a person's desire not to share everything they do publicly, right? I happen not to want to share the site's name here. That's my right and choice, so kindly respect that.
I don't give a damn what you or anyone else do, apart from the OP.

On a Support thread, my whole focus is on the problems of the OP, like you've seen on your threads here. In this case above, I might be able to help if I have examples websites, hence my request to the OP.

Other people replying are then either part of the solution or part of the problem, with their aimless 'Me too!' stuff. Again, in this case, it's the latter as no one has ever disputed the possibility of captchas popping up when using SM.

Still, I'm sure you guys can solve your own problems on your own.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Pardon for not being the OP, but here is an example for you.

walmart.ca, enter an item to search, like bird feeder

Seamonkey gives me a captcha

Edge does not

I can easily find more if you need.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Rob_S wrote:walmart.ca, enter an item to search, like bird feeder
Doing that worked for me and I get this every time with my SM - https://www.walmart.ca/search?q=bird%20feeder

Oddly, I recreated your problem there by logging into my Gmail account. Makes no sense as it's Google who run the Capchas, but not being logged into Google is down as a known solution for this.

If that site is important to you, you can follow the same sort of steps as here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14881754

But apart from that, it really is best you guys sort out your own problems, both in real life and with SM, as I'm just bored of the attitude and tone that I keep seeing in these Support threads here.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, thanks as always for your good info.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Yes, I'd like to know that, too
Good for you.
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:With the site I have in mind, there's no 50% involved. It's 100% when using SM, 0% when using FF.
*sigh* not 50% of the time with 1 site, 50% of the total number of sites where capchas appear.
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:And, Frank, surely you can respect a person's desire not to share everything they do publicly, right? I happen not to want to share the site's name here. That's my right and choice, so kindly respect that.
I don't give a damn what you or anyone else do, apart from the OP.

On a Support thread, my whole focus is on the problems of the OP, like you've seen on your threads here. In this case above, I might be able to help if I have examples websites, hence my request to the OP.

Other people replying are then either part of the solution or part of the problem, with their aimless 'Me too!' stuff. Again, in this case, it's the latter as no one has ever disputed the possibility of captchas popping up when using SM.

Still, I'm sure you guys can solve your own problems on your own.
Frank,

You're not wrong and you give good advice. It's just the issue is not something that can be fixed, the way things are with a monopoly browser dictating standards.

The captcha thing is real on many sites, too numerous to detail and no real reason to do so. It is a fact that Google has led us to this moment where if you use a non-Chrome browser, captcha will come up and bite you with somewhere around the number of 3 attempts to verify yourself. It is just a fact of life. It is the same fact that causes SeaMonkey to choke on some of my financial sites, among others.

Neither of these realities is a big deal IMO. Whenever the captcha thing goes on too long or the login to a site I need fails, I right click on an icon and up pops either Edge Dev or Vivaldi and the issue vanishes instantly.

Which begs the question, why do I then stick with SeaMonkey? The answer is simple: I like the kitchen sink of Netscape Communicator, aka Mozilla Suite, aka SeaMonkey. I like having my browser and email seamlessly connected, I like being able to do the initial edits of web pages in Composer, I like IRC Chat, I like Lightning, aka Calendar and RSS Feeds. Oh yes, I like XUL too.

I see the experience as one stop shopping and there is nothing else like it out there.

Nick