A radical Firefox redesign in 2021

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Baldape

A radical Firefox redesign in 2021

Post by Baldape »

I just read that sometime latter this year Firefox is going to have a major redesign, I just hope they don't touch the search bar.

https://www.techradar.com/news/get-read ... x-redesign
Ashleyj

Re: A radical Firefox redesign in 2021

Post by Ashleyj »

Why do they have to keep tinkering with the design.

Every time there is a major release that supposedly 'improves' the user experience I - and countless others - end up having to play around with css to get it back to looking the way we liked it.

Sure, fix the bugs and improve the security but FFS leave the look alone!
bob c

Post by bob c »

" Among the areas of the browser that are getting an updated look are context menus, the menu Firefox menu, as well as infobars and more."

For God's sake, I don't want a new car, just because you think everyone will like the look you shove at us. Did you ever think that's why we have so many different look in auto's. Make it a choice whether we want the new look, or just the security up grades.

They don't read this, so everybody don't think I'm ranting at someone here, just agreeing with the above statement.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I've seen the prototypes. Its not that radical. Its more like an update to match current OSes.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

might find something here, links posted in comments section to what it may look like in 89 https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/02/mozil ... n-refresh/

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=proton

i expect around firefox 88 we'll see more of this change.but going from what i know, firefox currently is not totally a HTML browser. but just wondering does this mean they'll also rewrite the android Browser to?
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

I really hope they do not, once again, break the code that puts the tabs below the toolbars - I really detest that.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Ashleyj wrote:I really hope they do not, once again, break the code that puts the tabs below the toolbars - I really detest that.
i dont think it'll be a radical GUI change like that. it'll be basically the preferences panel an they'll probably scrap the ugly Hamburger menu ( which i dont use anyway )
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Snake4 wrote:...they'll probably scrap the ugly Hamburger menu ( which i dont use anyway )
I really hope they don't - I use the menu bar all the time. I much prefer a menu layout to an interface cluttered with icons.

As I said before - fix the bugs and security issues but leave the interface alone. Or, alternatively just go back to the way it was when the user could customise the look without having to delve into css hacks.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Ashleyj wrote:
Snake4 wrote:...they'll probably scrap the ugly Hamburger menu ( which i dont use anyway )
I really hope they don't - I use the menu bar all the time. I much prefer a menu layout to an interface cluttered with icons.

As I said before - fix the bugs and security issues but leave the interface alone. Or, alternatively just go back to the way it was when the user could customise the look without having to delve into css hacks.
The Menu Bar is not the Hamburger three line Menu icon.

The Menu Bar is the one with File, Edit, View and other text items.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

WaltS48 wrote:The Menu Bar is not the Hamburger three line Menu icon.

The Menu Bar is the one with File, Edit, View and other text items.
My mistake - I thought that was the Hamburger menu.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on February 16th, 2021, 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

I am certainly no expert but having read through the list of items shown on the wiki page I get the impression most of them are just 'change for changes sake' and have nothing to do with the function or security of Firefox.
therube

Post by therube »

(At this point in time, do really expect any substantive change to come out of Mozilla?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/23/first ... x-nightly/ Newer looking Tabs

1 ) Firefox users who run the Nightly version may enable the general preference browser.proton.enabled by setting it to TRUE

2 ) Search for browser.proton.tabs.enabled. You won't get any results, but an option to create the preference

3 ) Restart the Firefox browser.
Last edited by Snake4 on February 4th, 2021, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Personally I am perfectly happy with the look of the tabs as they are now. I much prefer functionality over design any day.

As the author of this piece pointed out the larger tabs will heavily restrict the number of tabs in view at any one time.