thunderbird 68.5.0 bad link with gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jng

thunderbird 68.5.0 bad link with gmail

Post by jng »

I have three email providers - goddady, zoho and gmail, all of them pop.
When I used to click "get messages" Thunderbird would bring emails from those three sources.
Now it does not bring emails from gmail. In order to get them I have to open"get messages" and click gmail.

It is not a real problem. I am just afraid that it could grow to something serious.
I think that the problem comes from the way I had set up Gmail in Google; I don't think it is a Thunderbird problem.
But when I ask for a solution, I always get answers related to imap, which is not my case.
Is there an updated guidance on how to to properly set up Gmail pop so that I get its emails in Thunderbird but integrated with the other providers?
Or maybe it is indeed a Thunderbird new problem and it does not have anything to do with the Gmail setup?
Thanks.
jng
DanRaisch

Re: thunderbird 68.5.0 bad link with gmail

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as no bug has been identified here.

Thunderbird's default mode is to get the messages of the account currently active, that is the one on display in the right hand pane of the main window. You may want to install the "Get All Mail" extension -- https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... src=search
jng

Post by jng »

Thanks Dan, I got the xpi file, extract it and I don't know how to insert the button .
But I really don't think that this will solve the problem. I have a button of " Get Messages" which gives me the power to request all emails (zoho, email and goddddy) or just one of them.

The problem is that when I call my main x.gmail, THunderbird refuses its password. The x.mail and y.mail are okay in Gmail. They just don't ever forward to Thundervbird.

I was able to make Google (which receives my x.mail without any problem) to forward my x.mail to y.mail which was accepted by Thunderbird (this option is now also over).

So Thunderbird stopped receiving any gmail. And also does not allow me to send out any gmail. Receive and send is blocked by saying unaccepted password,
It must be something linked to the function sync in Google.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What version of Thunderbird are you using? The get all mail add-on doesn't support version 78 even if you somehow got it installed.

Check whether google unchecked the "support less secure apps" checkbox in your google account behind your back (you need to use a browser to check that), or switch to using OAuth2 as the authentication method in the Gmail accounts server settings in Thunderbird. The latter is more robust as that is the authentication method they're pushing.
jng

Post by jng »

I have updated to 78.1
By handling Google I have been able to receive old gmail emails which are in Gmail file.
But, funny, Gmail says that it will not transfer to Thunderbird all my emails addressed to my major email. That means that now when I ask for x.gmails in Thunderbird it gets 200 old emails, but none since January 2020
I asked Google and it replies that it will not send emails that are the main ones. only email and email. If I want to read the emails that everybody is sending to me, I have to go to Google.
That is new for me.
jng

Post by jng »

Google does not accept forwarding of my main email to Thunderbird. Just secondary emails. But I cannot put my main email as secondary. Crazy
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please clarify what you mean by "when I ask for x.gmails in Thunderbird it gets 200 old emails, but none since January 2020"
What is "x.gmails"? Do you mean your primary gmail address, something like JoeSmith@gmail dot com or something else?
Did you mean "January 2020" or "January 2021"?

To clear up some terminology: Getting Gmail messages in Thunderbird does not involved forwarding. Thunderbird is simply displaying (or downloading and displaying) messages as they exist on the Gmail server.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I asked Google and it replies that it will not send emails that are the main ones. only email and email. If I want to read the emails that everybody is sending to me, I have to go to Google. That is new for me."

How did you "ask Google"? I found https://support.google.com/mail/thread/24511112?hl=en for example about a problem forwarding mail from one gmail account to another using Thunderbird. If you posted a question on their support forum please post a link to it.
jng

Post by jng »

My thunderbird has three accounts; Gmail, Godaddy and zoho. When I click in Get Messages it goes to the three. Or I click in each one separately. In Gmail my main email is jng@gmail.com. In manage identities there is another on jng2@gmail.com
In Gmmaill there is a forwarding of all emails to jng2@gmail.com. I thought I need it to get the jng@gmail which I was not getting at all.

Suddenly I don't know what I did, I started to receive emails from Gmail. Almost 300 old emails, not one of current jng emails.
So I started to delete those 300 emais; but I found out that I do not need to delete them, Thunderbird tells me that it is receiving the 300 emails, but I look for them, they disappeared. They are not in the trash or junk. just disappeared.
I continue not to receive my jng@gmail.com emails. You say they come automatically. They dont.