TB doesnt work with App Password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
KilliK

TB doesnt work with App Password

Post by KilliK »

Hello.

Suddenly, today, I can not login anymore to my Outlook account with TB. When I try to do it, I get the error
Sending of password for user user@outlook.com did not succeed. Mail server outlook.office365.com responded: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
My OL account has 2FA enabled and I was using its generated App Password to login from TB without problems for a long time now.
I checked my OL account settings, Let devices and apps to use POP is enabled and the POP settings are the same with my TB ones:
Server name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: TLS

Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS
I deleted my current app password from my MS account and created a new one. TB is updated to its latest version, I am not using any addons, I restarted both the router and TB, and used the new app password but I still get the error.
I have a second OL account without 2FA which logins fine. I also have a gmail account with 2FA which also logins fine.

Is it a MS or TB problem? I will contact MS support as well. I would like to know if there is something else I can try to fix this.
Last edited by KilliK on January 13th, 2021, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
softfoot

Re: TB doesnt work with App Password

Post by softfoot »

Just spotted your message I have an almost identical problem that started today as well!
I am using pop3.live.com but not 2FA.
This has been working for several years
Another Hotmail account works fine!
Baffled,
Dave
frozencloud

Post by frozencloud »

Having the same problem since january 12th. Out of nowhere two of my four live.com accounts get this error message in TB. Tested on multiple computers.
I don't use 2FA. I haven't changed any settings through either live.com or TB.
I checked and POP3 is enabled in the settings (in live.com itself), as it's always been.
No clue what's causing this.
casej

Post by casej »

This problem has also affected me from 12th January 2021. One account still working and one with exactly the same symptoms as reported above.
One thought: it is the shorter of my two email addresses affected (xxxxxxxx@live.co.uk).
softfoot

Post by softfoot »

One of my pop3 accounts still doesnt work ... but I tried converting it to imap and it now works.
I would prefer pop3 but this is a workaround for now.
Dave
softfoot

Post by softfoot »

Sounds identical except that I dont use 2SA and never have.
Dave
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

MS must have fixed the problem, I can login now, so whoever else has a similar problem, go check your account.