Local file opens multiple empty tabs. [Mac.]

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Daffyd99

Local file opens multiple empty tabs. [Mac.]

Post by Daffyd99 »

Mac OS Catalina. If I open a local file, Seamonkey opens multiple tabs –it just keeps going. This makes it unusable for editing files. Is this a bug, or is there a setting to prevent this.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on January 17th, 2021, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the Title.
LIMPET235

Re: Local file opens multiple empty tabs. [Mac.]

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to SeaMonkey Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Post by therube »

What version of SeaMonkey?

What do you mean when you say "open a local file"?
Is that in (SeaMonkey's) Editor or simply something like File | Open, "file:///c:/tmp/dumy.txt" ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

Unable to reproduce this with 2.53.6. What is true that if you click on a local html link or file on the dektop or elsewhere two windows are opened. First one shows the initial defined action e.g. open homepage, blank tab or whatever you set. If SeaMonkey is already open only one windows is opened.

File Open and Composer are fine too.

FRG
Daffyd99

Post by Daffyd99 »

Version 2.53.5.1. I open SeaMonkey and navigate to a local file on my hard drive. I open it and it loads into the SM browser, and immediately hundreds of Untitled, blank pages start to load. I would post a screenshot but the forum doesn't seem to allow it. I guess a workaround is to load the page from the net, edit it and save it on my hard drive. I like the security of working from my local site on my hard drive.

Daffyd99
therube

Post by therube »

I open SeaMonkey and navigate to a local file on my hard drive ... and immediately hundreds of Untitled, blank pages start to load
As a test, create a new, clean Profile, then attempt the same.
(I seem to recall a bug where a particular about:config setting would cause something like that.)

Does the same happen in that new Profile, or does the local file load as expected?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Daffyd99 wrote:Version 2.53.5.1. I open SeaMonkey and navigate to a local file on my hard drive. I open it and it loads into the SM browser, and immediately hundreds of Untitled, blank pages start to load. I would post a screenshot but the forum doesn't seem to allow it. I guess a workaround is to load the page from the net, edit it and save it on my hard drive. I like the security of working from my local site on my hard drive.
I'm confused. Why are you using a web browser to edit files? :-k Why not open the file in an appropriate program?

Anyway, check your preferences for tab and link behavior: Edit | Preferences | Browser | [Tabbed Browsing] [Link Behavior] It's possible a setting there got changed and is responsible for this behavior. I cannot duplicate it; I'm using 2.53.5.1 on Linux.

And definitely do what @therube suggested, try a fresh, clean profile. If it doesn't happen there, you'll know there's something in your real profile that's responsible.
Daffyd99

Post by Daffyd99 »

Thanks all. I think I have a workround to avoid hundreds of empty pages loading.