Prompts for primary password on startup

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
netsense

Prompts for primary password on startup

Post by netsense »

Hi all
I've just switched from Lastpass to sync'd Firefox Logins & Passwords (Lockwise?). But every time I start Firefox, I get prompted for the primary password, regardless of using the default Firefox home page - not logging in to anything. Can anyone explain this?
Thanks
Ashleyj

Re: Prompts for primary password on startup

Post by Ashleyj »

I'm not quite certain of what you are saying - is it:

1. You can not login because you don't have the password
or
2. That you have the password but have to enter it every time, and would rather not have to keep doing that.

If it is the first I assume you have never set a master password for logins prior to it becoming Lockwise. As you also said that you have switched from Lastpass to Lockwise - did you import all your logins from Lastpass into Lockwise? If so perhaps the master password gets imported too. Have you tried the master password that you had for Lastpass

If it is the second there is a setting in options to turn off the primary password.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you possibly using Sync as that can be a cause for asking to enter the PP ?
netsense

Post by netsense »

The browser prompts for the primary password the moment it opens, onto the Firefox default home page. So I'm not trying to log in to anything.

Yes, I am using Sync, to ensure I have access to the same logins on my various platforms. Does having sync enabled mean that the browser prompts for a password when opening?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Yes, the credentials to login to the Firefox account are stored in the Password Manager, so you need to enter the PP to unlock the passwords.
If you want to speedup things then you can open Lockwise (about:logins), possibly via a bookmark or a pinned tab.
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

dickvl wrote:Yes, the credentials to login to the Firefox account are stored in the Password Manager, so you need to enter the PP to unlock the passwords.
If you want to speedup things then you can open Lockwise (about:logins), possibly via a bookmark or a pinned tab.
I use Lockwise to sync across two computers and my phone, and it never asks me for a password as I have not set a primary password. If you are logged into your Firefox account, and have set it so that it does not delete active logins between sessions there is no reason why you should ever be logged-out.

The only thing I can think is that the OP must have set a PP at some time and the setting to use that is ticked in options.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

I have set a 'primary' password and I get asked for it soon after launching Firefox. If I don't provide it, I get asked again when logging into a site where I am already logged in, perhaps at other times as well. I recently gave in and now provide it when first asked.