SM 2.53.x Walmart.com goes to Captcha screen

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Re: SM 2.53.x Walmart.com goes to Captcha screen

Post by Peter Creasey »

nickhog wrote: Under Preferences | Advanced | HTTP Networking, select "Identify as Seamonkey". This option will remove Firefox compatibility on web sites and may cause some sites to popup a browser compatibility warning.....
Can someone please comment as to whether this advisable?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Can someone please comment as to whether this advisable?
Possibly not, especially as that dual identity has already cut down of the number of 'unsupported browser' problems. (SM 2.53 is actually based off Fx 56, not 60, but sites don't seem to care/notice)

In the above case, probably a site-specific override would suffice and even then only if that site is of importance to you (they get forgotten by the people who set them after a while, it seems :) ) - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14835497

Btw setting a permanent Firefox/Chrome global override very often messes up other sites, like YouTube.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks, Frank, this is what I expected but wanted to hear "confirmed". Thus far, I have yet to to make any adjustments in my User Agent parameters...and hope that this can continue to be the case.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
nickhog

Post by nickhog »

These types of issues will always surface as long as Web Site developers insist on restricting which browser people use and continue to be to lazy to include cross platform compatibility in their page design. I use a Default User Agent changer addon which allows me to temporarily adjust as needed so I can get to the content that I want and bypass such foolishness....
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I just switch over to the Edge browser in the rare cases when SM gets blocked...then immediately switch back to SM, of course.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete