Thunderbird 78.7.1 completely freezes when I open options.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
oldlamehand

Thunderbird 78.7.1 completely freezes when I open options.

Post by oldlamehand »

Thunderbird 78.7.1 (windows 10) completely freezes when I open options. Options will not be loaded, the options tab will remain empty.
The only way I can change options is safe mode.
Account settings work normally.
I've tried disabling / uninstalling all plugins, but it doesn't help.

I also tried to change user_pref ("gfx.direct2d.disabled", true), as someone advised me on reddit. It didn't work either.
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird 78.7.1 completely freezes when I open option

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
oldlamehand

Post by oldlamehand »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
I have several accounts, all IMAP. I used POP in the past, but switched to IMAP. So it is possible that there are some remnants of old POP accounts in the settings.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you have not moved numerous messages to local folders you could create a new Thunderbird profile, recreate the IMAP accounts in that new environment and then remove the old profile after the new one is working properly. This would be possible because, with an IMAP account, messages are normally stored on the email provider's servers.

If you have been moving messages from the IMAP folders to sub-folders of Thunderbird's Local Folders, either move them to the IMAP folders or make doubly certain that you backup the Local Folders structure -- Local Folders

Before starting that reproduction process, be sure to back up the existing profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup (Don't try to use MozBackup as that utility has not been maintained for years and has issues trying to work with profiles of more recent versions of Thunderbird.
oldlamehand

Post by oldlamehand »

DanRaisch wrote:If you have not moved numerous messages to local folders you could create a new Thunderbird profile, recreate the IMAP accounts in that new environment and then remove the old profile after the new one is working properly. This would be possible because, with an IMAP account, messages are normally stored on the email provider's servers.

If you have been moving messages from the IMAP folders to sub-folders of Thunderbird's Local Folders, either move them to the IMAP folders or make doubly certain that you backup the Local Folders structure -- Local Folders

Before starting that reproduction process, be sure to back up the existing profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup (Don't try to use MozBackup as that utility has not been maintained for years and has issues trying to work with profiles of more recent versions of Thunderbird.
But I have a problem with options that do not load. Account settings work. So will this help solve my problem?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That was the point of the new profile, to eliminate anything in the configuration of the old profile that was causing the problem.
oldlamehand

Post by oldlamehand »

And any other solution that might work other than re-creating profile? I have thousands of messages in my email accounts and the synchronization will take a very long time. Since it works in safe mode, I guess it could be something quite simple.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. If you have tested by removing all extensions and themes from the current profile, your problem could be due to some config setting that is not being reset when an extension is removed.

Do you have to have all of the messages from the IMAP server(s) downloaded to local storage for off-line access? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/im ... pace-usage