Extra bookmarks appearing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Extra bookmarks appearing

Post by Odin2 »

After a Windows crash and restoration and then a Firefox sync I find (a) additional entries (duplicates?) appear at the end of my bookmarks toolbar, and (b) additional entries (duplicates?) appear at the end of my bookmarks sidebar. I don't seem to be able to move these. I'm reluctant to delete them [if they can indeed be deleted], because I don't know whether they originated before or after the bookmarks that appeared after I'd reinstalled Firefox. Can you tell me [1] whether they pre-date or post-date my other bookmarks, and [2] how do I move or delete them.
BobbyPhoenix

Re: Extra bookmarks appearing

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

It's because of the crash. Export your bookmarks, delete all bookmarks, do a manual sync to sync no bookmarks, import your bookmarks, do a manual sync. Then delete the duplicates, and do another manual sync. From then on when it auto-syncs it shouldn't bring back the duplicates. It's happened to me before, and these steps fixed it for me.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Bobby, I don't know which "duplicates" to delete. Which set of bookmarks is the latest? Does the new set date from the sync?
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

The only thing you can really do is sort each folder (if you have multiple ones) by name through the Firefox bookmarks manager, and then delete the duplicates one by one. Usually what happens is after a crash Firefox sync pulls from the last good batch it has on the server, but usually that adds them to a restarted browser that still has bookmarks. It's hard to really explain, but you may find an extension that finds duplicates, and may be able to delete them in bunches with it. Just remember to export a copy first. I find making a copy of all them first, and then after you modify them, is a good way to keep a backup in case this ever happens again. That way you can easily just delete, sync, import, sync, and you're good to go.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Bobby. 8-)

I've managed easily to clean up the single-page entries in my bookmarks toolbar (and thereby made that toolbar again fit). I'll work on the rest when I have time. I'll repost if I have further questions.