Email

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
notsobigg

Email

Post by notsobigg »

Today whin I started Sea Monkey to check emails, I keep getting an failed to login to mail account! I worked yesterday and I have change nothing, but today, no way will it connect to my AOL mail account.
I have checked all settings and everything was as it should be. I can login to view my mail via AOL but not Seamonkey! Anybody know why?
DanRaisch

Re: Email

Post by DanRaisch »

It could just be problems on the server side. What is the exact text of the error message?
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

I am having the exact same problem, I have 3 email accouts and they all work except for one. I've had this problem before , but dont remember how it was solved. It just keeps asking for password. using AOL mail Imap. I can log into My mail directly from AOL/ Aim just fine.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

@notsobigg @rbigcal

You both are using pretty outdated version 2.49.x while there is updated version 2.53.6:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.6/

Make full backup of your profile(-s) and update. If you want to use 64-bit version then uninstall 32-bit 2.49.x first and then install 2.53.6.
--
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Neither of you have reported the full text of any error messages being displayed. Rather difficult to provide support without some idea what the issue is.
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

Login to server imap.aim.com failed.
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

I don't know how to do a backup of the folder. And seems odd that 2 other email accounts work just fine
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

rbigcal wrote:I don't know how to do a backup of the folder.
Make archive file of "SeaMonkey" folder:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\
There are stored user's profiles. It will be not removed when SeaMonkey program will be uninstalled. But full backup will keep safe your personal data which can be restored in case e.g. data corruption/loss.

You can use free 7-Zip:
https://www.7-zip.org/

Making one archive file allows to verify its integrity (to make sure your data is safe).
rbigcal wrote:And seems odd that 2 other email accounts work just fine
The same provider or different? IMAP too or POP3? It all depends. There is no simple answer. Maybe except "42"... :wink:
--
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

All 3 accounts are IMAP set up the same way. Been using it for years, a lot of years.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

rbigcal wrote:All 3 accounts are IMAP set up the same way. Been using it for years, a lot of years.
So you have 3 AIM accounts, all IMAP and all with exactly the same settings (except for User name, obviously) and two work but one gets the error message "Login to server imap.aim.com failed." Is that correct?
Is the password for the failing account saved in SeaMonkey for automatic submission?
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

Yes that is correct and yes password is saved. I also tried manually entering password. I tired installing 7 zip and cant get that to work right either. It shows its installed but when I click it, it goes back to same place again asking if its ok to make changes. Getting pretty frusterated
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What does 7Zip have to do with your SeaMonkey issue?
Try removing the saved password from SeaMonkey then close and restart the program to ensure that any value stored in memory is cleared.
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

Same issue
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, that doesn't sound likely at all. 7Zip is not needed to run or install SeaMonkey so I don't see how it could be involved in your current SeaMonkey problems.

Also, have you done this?
Try removing the saved password from SeaMonkey then close and restart the program to ensure that any value stored in memory is cleared.
hardys

Post by hardys »

DanRaisch wrote:What does 7Zip have to do with your SeaMonkey issue?
Dan, he wants to make a backup of his profile before making changes as suggested by TPR75, that's why he asked about 7zip