Moving the "tab bar" to the bottom of the PAGE

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
videobruce

Moving the "tab bar" to the bottom of the PAGE

Post by videobruce »

NOT, "below" the address bar like 90% of the other threads that don't know the difference between the terms "bottom" and "below" as in below the address bar. :roll:

In FF v70, using this script, I managed to get the "tabs" to move to the bottom of the page, but NOT the "tab bar". Basically making matters worse since you can barely see the area where the reduced width (by 1/3) tab area is;
#TabsToolbar {
position: fixed;
bottom: -0.5em;
width: 100%;
}
#tabbrowser-tabs { width: 96%; }
#content-deck { margin-bottom: 2.5em; }

#TabsToolbar:not([inFullscreen="true"]) {position:fixed; bottom:0em; width:100%;}
The result is this;

As opposed to this (in v56 via TabMix Plus) which is what it should be if Mozilla didn't change things and removing the option to place it where it's been for 20 years ! :evil:
ImageImage
Note the width of the 'correct' tabs in the bar, vs the 'translucent squares' in v70
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
videobruce

Re: Moving the "tab bar" to the bottom of the PAGE

Post by videobruce »

Thanks for all of that, but I have questions since most of that is well above my 'pay' grade. :?

Of the six files, the 1st (mile long) and the 2nd; 'tabs_below_navigation_toolbar" which isn't a issue since I can do that now.
The 3rd thru the 6th, 'tabs_below_main_content_fx__' seems to be what I'm looking for but of those 4 versions, none are for v70 which I would like to stick with, at least for now since, other than the location of the tab bar, it's not really 'broken', it works on the web sites v56 doesn't.

I see the note in each of files 2-6 that they need, what appears to be the 1st file (355 lines). If so, do I copy/paste the entire 355 line file to a text file saving it as a .css extension?
Then, how about those last four, do I try one at a time and see what happens?? :-k
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
Benjamin Markson

Post by Benjamin Markson »

videobruce wrote:In FF v70, using this script, I managed to get the "tabs" to move to the bottom of the page, but NOT the "tab bar". Basically making matters worse since you can barely see the area where the reduced width (by 1/3) tab area is;

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar {
  position: fixed;
  bottom: -0.5em;
  width: 100%;
  }
Looking at your #TabsToolbar section, I currently (FF85) have this:

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar
{
	position: fixed !important;
	bottom: 26px !important;
	width: 100% !important;
	border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(160, 160, 160) !important;
	background-color:  rgb(212, 208, 200) !important;
	display: block !important;
}
I seem to vaguely remember that the display: block thing was the last change I made. Anyway, my tabs sit down the bottom and are displayed correctly - full disclosure: I very rarely use newer versions of Firefox any more.

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

What is/does this "display:block" suppose to do?

Anyway, is what I had in my last post correct as to add these files to the 'Chrome" folder??

OT, I see your 'sig', this incredibly huge (for this type of program) 'XUL' file, is that the 'core' (for lack of a better term) of a Mozilla browser now?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Does this work properly in all cases (i.e. also if you open that much tabs that you see scroll buttons and the list all tabs button) and in full screen mode and if you hide toolbars like the title bar and menu bar?
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

At this point I would almost settle for the tab bar itself and tabs I can read.

Well I C&P those 1st 3 files to the 'Chrome' folder and nada, nothing, zip. No effect. :cry: (I did rename the extension of the existing file so not to conflict)

Is all that text suppose to be in one file?
Can this 'Chrome' folder only have 1 file?

I don't see anything on any of this anywhere. Seems to be a "assumption virus" around. :roll:
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Look at Aris' userChrome.css file. This file incorporates other files by reference (with their original names, in a subfolder) depending on which @import statements you un-comment. That is how they were designed to be used if you don't want to combine them into a file yourself.

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSfor ... er/classic
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

[quote="jscher2000" depending on which @import statements you un-comment./quote] No idea what that is suppose to mean.
I don't want to re-invert the wheel. Just get the tab bar where it has been for decades, nothing more, nothing fancy.

Is only 1 file suppose to be in that chrome folder called userChrome.css and does it have to have that name?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Firefox only looks for userChrome.css and userContent.css. So your userChrome.css file contains @import statements that pull in other files by reference. I have more information about this here: https://www.userchrome.org/adding-style ... e-css.html
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

The best I got was similar to what I posted above, but the tab widths were correct, but still no 'background' for the 'bar' translucent, that are hard to read.

I took a closer look at the existing so-called 'bar' (which is really isn't) and even 'below' the address bar (which is a 'bar', these screwed up abortion is translucent there also. So, the now question is what has to be added or changed to actual have a 'solid' bar background so one can actually read it?
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

BTW, one doesn't have to look far to see the misuse of the terms "bottom" and "below" in the same thread.
It's right here in this forum :roll: