Email

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
rbigcal

Re: Email

Post by rbigcal »

DanRaisch wrote:Well, that doesn't sound likely at all. 7Zip is not needed to run or install SeaMonkey so I don't see how it could be involved in your current SeaMonkey problems.

Also, have you done this?
Try removing the saved password from SeaMonkey then close and restart the program to ensure that any value stored in memory is cleared.
I did that and then said I still had same issue
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

Any other ideas to try ?
lem3

Post by lem3 »

If Yahoo/AOL/ATT email passwords stop working you may be caught in the (relatively) new Yahoo secure email requirements. You'll need to create a new password just for SeaMonkey:
https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-app ... re-sign-in

That said, I don't understand why this would be affecting only one of three mail accounts.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

If all 3 are AOL IMAP accounts and 2 of them work.

I would compare the accounts Security Settings and confirm that the Connection Security and Authentication Methods are all the same.

My one AOL account in Thunderbird is SSL/TLS and OAuth2.

All need to have those settings.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

All 3 are SSL/TLS, but Have normal password. Settings are all the same as they've been for years.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I thought there were some security changes late last year.

You might want to search this forum or ask on AOL Help
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

I don't have a problem if I sign in directly to AOL mail
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If by "directly to AOL mail" that's likely because you are accessing different servers when you do so. You are not going in through either a POP or IMAP type server when you access web mail through a browser.
sunclad

Post by sunclad »

Many email services are depreciating 3rd party mail programs other than their own app or web browser access. Systems such as Yahoo and AOL now require that you establish a specific 3rd party password just to connect to their systems.

You need to login to the account user area of your Yahoo or AOL accounts and go to the Security page. There locate an option to establish a special password that will be used for the 3rd party program. The systems in place offer some well-established mail programs such as Outlook but I have found for most 3rd party programs you just select "other." It will ask you to give this password a name so you can name it for T-Bird, Seamonkey, or what ever program you are using.

The system will generate its own password which is usually an alpha-numeric code. You have no control over this and have to use the one they give you. Copy this new password down or cut paste it to a text file to hold to the side.

Now open T-Bird or Seamonkey and go to the account settings. Use this NEW PASSWORD in place of your account password. Save and close the program, then re-boot the program. This new password that is system specific should now be in place.

You should then be able to access and send mail.

AOL, Yahoo, and Verizon mail (which is on AOL servers in most places) announced some months back through messages to account holders (may have gone to your junk folder?) that they were imposing this new system. You choice is to use web browser access, they own app if they have one, or establish this special 3rd party password.

So in the end you will have a username and password to login to the account, and a second password just to allow use of the 3rd party program. I had to do this with Verizon, Yahoo, and AOL accounts that I have to maintain.

Note on this... There is a risk that on your first attempt that the account will flag a potential hack attempt. if that happens use a web browser to access your user account and visit the security pane and clear that message. It may also be sent to your inbox.

Google (Gmail) has taken the position of flagging computers that are not used with regularity, or not in the same geographical area by IP address as being potential hack attempts. So if you are in New York and travel to Seattle and try to login to Gmail, that could be blocked until you login to the user account area to security settings and acknowledge that it is actually you. There may also be a time delay in that acknowledgement being applied to the account so you can get in.

I've had to deal with all of these issues in the last 6 months.
seedy

Post by seedy »

I had a similar issue when upgrading. Go into the Data Manager >> Passwords and delete the entry for that particular email account, then when you try to get mail a password dialogue should pop up, remember to click the little box so the password is saved and it should work. You will also need to enter the password to send an email the first time
rbigcal

Post by rbigcal »

Ok finally got it working by following the directions on getting 3rd party password from AOL. I dont understand why the other 2 accounts still work fine without doing that.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

AOL doesn't seem to have been rolling that requirement out to everyone at the same time. You may find those other accounts showing the same point at some point in the future.