Semonkey user agent

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ron Polsley

Semonkey user agent

Post by Ron Polsley »

"The latest version of AT&T Yahoo Mail is not supported on your browser"
and many more e.g., bill pay for hospital will not work.
Tried spoofs without luck.
"Your UA string is reporting that you are using an obsolete browser, specifically Firefox 60.0."
With Armies of hackers world wide security has been tightened.
I really need SeaMonkey to work, Please
Peter Creasey

Re: Semonkey user agent

Post by Peter Creasey »

I can confirm that AT&T Yahoo Mail doesn't work with SeaMonkey as described in OP.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:I can confirm that AT&T Yahoo Mail doesn't work with SeaMonkey as described in OP.
Then you and Ron need to wade through the info in these forums and try to fix that as only people with an account at AT&T Yahoo Mail can do that.

Most sites, but not all, can be worked around OK, but logged-in sites need people with accounts on them to fix them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:logged-in sites need people with accounts on them to fix them.
Frank, thanks for the heads-up.

What typically does the account holder ask the site to do?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:What typically does the account holder ask the site to do?
Well, only an account holder can ask questions to their Help/Support sites for a start. Admittedly, it's not likely, due to lack of caring, that they would help much, but it's a start.

But, what I really meant is that YOU, or someone in the same position, would need to fix this type of problem for yourself, i.e. it's no good just reporting 'I have this problem' you're going to have to fix it yourself, simply because no one is going to register on endless websites just to fix it for you. Harsh, but that's what I've observed over the years.

You are unlikely to be able to fix 'feature blocking detection', but that's not used much, but UA stuff is pretty fixable. There's loads of threads on this stuff here and this thread contains a lot of good info and note the use of a second browser to figure out what's going on - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14885451

tl;dr? people don't spoof User Agents properly or give up very quickly trying to do so.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote: There's loads of threads on this stuff here and this thread contains a lot of good info and note the use of a second browser to figure out what's going on - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14885451
Frank, thanks for responding. Guess I'll just have to live with the problem as the info to which you linked is not understandable in my case.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote: Frank, thanks for responding. Guess I'll just have to live with the problem as the info to which you linked is not understandable in my case.
Well, that or grab someone who has got an account there and wants to try to fix it. Just experimenting with different UA strings using the User Agent Switcher extension might well do the trick.

But, yeah, if you've ever wondered why some compat/unsupported stuff gets fixed here and some doesn't, the above is usually the reason.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote: Just experimenting with different UA strings using the User Agent Switcher extension might well do the trick.
Frank, I have never heard of such an extension (which I guess has to be added somehow to the system). Experimenting is not something I'm inclined to do...given my long past experience with programming/development/analysis whereby experimenting can be debilitating to the system.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote: Experimenting is not something I'm inclined to do.
Well, I wasn't suggesting that you did, was I? Read carefully -
Frank Lion wrote:.. grab someone who has got an account there and wants to try to fix it. Just experimenting with different UA strings using the User Agent Switcher extension might well do the trick..
i.e. it's not all about you on these threads. :wink:
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Peter, AT&T uses Yahoo mail, but I don't know if the AT&T front end cares any more than Yahoo's. This is how I fixed Yahoo mail:
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
add a string value via about:config
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Justinh wrote:Peter, AT&T uses Yahoo mail, but I don't know if the AT&T front end cares any more than Yahoo's. This is how I fixed Yahoo mail:
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
add a string value via about:config
Justin, thanks so much.

I went to about:config but don't see how to add the string you suggest. How do I go about adding it?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

right-click in the table -> New -> String
then enter pref name (first half of the equation), then enter second string (second half of equation)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Justin, thanks again. All is duly noted.

Now to get up the nerve to try it!!!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
You can always RESET it to the original > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.7
that you now have showing.

Just right click the pref > general.useragent.override & select RESET from the drop down.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks -- knowing how to reset is comforting.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete