Semonkey user agent

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Re: Semonkey user agent

Post by Peter Creasey »

Justinh wrote:Peter, AT&T uses Yahoo mail, but I don't know if the AT&T front end cares any more than Yahoo's. This is how I fixed Yahoo mail:
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
add a string value via about:config
Okay, I entered the prefix name -> general.useragent.override.yahoo.com = (NOTE: with the equal sign)

then I entered the second string -> (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0

And it didn't help as Yahoo/Aol/AT&T still didn't like the browser (SM). Did I do it right?

So, I reset it. I clicked the general.useragent.override and reset it which initially left the first part of the string there ->general.useragent.override.yahoo.com =

Any suggestions?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:
Justinh wrote:Peter, AT&T uses Yahoo mail, but I don't know if the AT&T front end cares any more than Yahoo's. This is how I fixed Yahoo mail:
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
add a string value via about:config
Okay, I entered the prefix name -> general.useragent.override.yahoo.com = (NOTE: with the equal sign)

then I entered the second string -> (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0

And it didn't help as Yahoo/Aol/AT&T still didn't like the browser (SM). Did I do it right?

So, I reset it. I clicked the general.useragent.override and reset it which initially left the first part of the string there ->general.useragent.override.yahoo.com =

Any suggestions?
Close SeaMonkey. Make sure there is no "seamonkey.exe" process running. Go to your profile (hint: if you don't know where you can find it via "about:support" page before you'll close SeaMonkey). Search for "prefs.js" file. Edit it with some kind of notepad and search for that "yahoo.com =" string. Remove entire line and save file... or just correct it my removing " =". Open SeaMonkey.

Overriding User Agent was discussed here before:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14887234
... with detailed step-by-step instruction:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14804588

:-"
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I believe you are telling me how to delete the useragent override. This was done by doing the reset.

What I need to know is:

1) Did I do the override correctly?

2) If no, what do I need to do differently?

3) If yes, what might be another string to try to satisfy Yahoo/AOL/AT&T

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:I believe you are telling me how to delete the useragent override. This was done by doing the reset.

What I need to know is:

1) Did I do the override correctly?

2) If no, what do I need to do differently?

3) If yes, what might be another string to try to satisfy Yahoo/AOL/AT&T

Thanks.
1) No.

2) Paste correct alphanumeric string. Twice.

3) Open both above URLs and read both posts. Carefully.
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thank you for the good info.

Okay, I first pasted general.useragent.override.yahoo.com and then in the second box pasted Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0.

Evidently this setting is not the solution as I still get the bad browser message when trying to access Yahoo/AOL/ATT mail using SM.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:...and then in the second box pasted Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0.
That is not a great UA string to be using there. The rv version doesn't match the final Firefox version! Also, you should always stick to your real OS (operating system) unless there's a good reason not to.

As you are using Win !0, then I've re-written yours for this -

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0

- Just right click your existing yahoo override entry and select Modify and paste that in instead.

If that doesn't work then try -

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:76.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/76.0

...and so on (up to Firefox 88 or so), if needed.

- override entries need to be updated every 6 months to a year or so for some sites that require the latest version of Firefox, as opposed to just a more recent one than our Firefox 60.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote: That is not a great UA string to be using there. The rv version doesn't match the final Firefox version! Also, you should always stick to your real OS (operating system) unless there's a good reason not to.

As you are using Win !0, then I've re-written yours for this -

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0

- Just right click your existing yahoo override entry and select Modify and paste that in instead.

If that doesn't work then try -

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:76.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/76.0

...and so on (up to Firefox 88 or so), if needed.

- override entries need to be updated every 6 months to a year or so for some sites that require the latest version of Firefox, as opposed to just a more recent one than our Firefox 60.
Frank etal, thanks again so much for your helpfulness.

I tried 70.0, 76.0, and 88.0 ... alas no joy.

It appears that AOL.mail is not picking up the overrides as here is the error message...
It looks like you're using an unsupported browser. Here's what we detected:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.7
Note it is still citing Firefox/60.0 instead 70.0, 76.0 or 88.0.

Should the override reference AOL instead of YAHOO? Or what else?

Any thoughts?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:Should the override reference AOL instead of YAHOO? Or what else?

Any thoughts?
"Site specific override" is not for website but per domain. You made it for "yahoo.com" domain so far and it looks like AOL mail uses "yimg.com" too for images and other staff (styles and scripts). You should make additional override for "yimg.com" domain.

In first link/URL there is UA string for latest Firefox ESR (78). Anything older (e.g. 70 or 76) could be recognized as obsolete.

Ah! When you do copy/paste then remember to not leave "space" before or after string.

EDIT: You can try the simplest trick - turn off Firefox advertising. I can open AOL mail login page and I can't see any warning (and create account page too).
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks again.

Here are the two things I added...

1) general.useragent.override.yahoo.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:76.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

2) general.useragent.override.yimg.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:76.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

And still get the same error message -> "It looks like you're using an unsupported browser. Here's what we detected:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.7"

Any ideas?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:And still get the same error message -> "It looks like you're using an unsupported browser. Here's what we detected:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.7"

Any ideas?
Like I wrote above:
You can try the simplest trick - turn off Firefox advertising.
It will remove "Firefox/60.0" part. And remember to delete override values (in case you'll need them later).
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75 wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:And still get the same error message -> "It looks like you're using an unsupported browser. Here's what we detected:

Any ideas?
Like I wrote above:
It will remove "Firefox/60.0" part. And remember to delete override values (in case you'll need them later).
Thank you very much; however, I don't understand any of what you're saying.

How do I "turn off Firefox advertising" and what do you mean "delete override values (in case you'll need them later)"?

Can you please provide specific instructions?

Thanks again.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Ron Polsley wrote:"The latest version of AT&T Yahoo Mail is not supported on your browser"
and many more e.g., bill pay for hospital will not work.
Tried spoofs without luck.
"Your UA string is reporting that you are using an obsolete browser, specifically Firefox 60.0."
With Armies of hackers world wide security has been tightened.
I really need SeaMonkey to work, Please
Is that for webmail? I found that SeaMonkey does not work with my service provider's webmail at all. Maybe use another browser for that?
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Peter, I can login to AT&T mail (via currently.com) using UA "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0" for yahoo.com. I do have and 'identify as SM and advertise Fx compatibility in Preferences -> Adv -> HTTP Networking, but that may be overridden by my UA for Yahoo.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:
TPR75 wrote:Like I wrote above:
Thank you very much; however, I don't understand any of what you're saying.

How do I "turn off Firefox advertising" and what do you mean "delete override values (in case you'll need them later)"?
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> HTTP Networking -> in field "User Agent String" select "Identify as SeaMonkey"
It will remove "Firefox/60.0" part from UA.

You made (or at least tried to make) override for "yahoo.com" domain. There are two parts:
1) name: "general.useragent.override.yahoo.com"
2) value: e.g. "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0"

Delete value and leave name. Don't "reset" - just edit value and delete what's inside. It will allow to make relative fast override in future (if needed).

BTW There is pref "general.useragent.site_specific_overrides". By default it is set to true. If its value is "false" (with bold font) then change it.
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75, thanks once again. I did everything as you said while leaving the yimg.com override.

Still, no joy as still get an error message -> "It looks like you're using an unsupported browser. Here's what we detected:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53.7" (The Firefox reference is gone)
. . . . . . . . . . Pete