Tbird 78 change color_ACCOUNT name if folder(s)-new/unread m

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
phkhgh

Tbird 78 change color_ACCOUNT name if folder(s)-new/unread m

Post by phkhgh »

Something really odd in Linux Thunderbird (Mozilla vers.) changing folder pane color when they have new and / or unread mail.
It worked, then stopped after last TB update - I guess, when I used a custom (3rd party) Linux Cinnamon theme.
This is more than pretty colors for me - sight isn't perfect.

So, switched to a "stock" theme included in Mint & changing color of folder names worked. Then it stopped working & couldn't get it back.
I think it used to be default behavior to change folderpane colors?
I had to add a boat load of rules to get it back. EXCEPT

I can't find the correct selector for account names, to change colors. The toolbox for Tb doesn't show a valid selector for Account Names.
Can anyone point me to the rule / syntax to change color of acct names for new & unread.
Thanks.
morat

Re: Tbird 78 change color_ACCOUNT name if folder(s)-new/unre

Post by morat »

Try something like:

Code: Select all

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, isServer-true, biffState-NewMail) {
  color: red !important;
  font-weight: bold !important;
}
Reference
http://searchfox.org/comm-esr78/search? ... e&path=css
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

OK, thanks. Can you explain what are / what they indicate: "isServer-true" & "biffState-NewMail"
That didn't do anythng to the acct names (when they're collapsed).
I already had that, except position of isServer... & biffState... were reversed. Doubt that matters.

You don't think it should use "::-moz-tree-cell-text(accountCol," instead of "folderNameCol" - for the account name?

This seems to change a collapsed (maybe expanded?) account name color. But notice, it has "hasUnreadMessages-true" - if that's correct syntax.

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, hasUnreadMessages-true) {
  font-weight: bold !important;
  color: Cyan !important;
}
It changes it immediately (makes it italic, for some reason), if I send a NEW msg to another acct & I don't touch the acct w/ new msg. That's the only rule I have using Cyan.
But it just got a NEW msg. It's not a folder that I looked in, but didn't read some msgs.
But the color doesn't stay changed. It appears to revert to black the next time that acct checks the server for new mail, even if I don't touch the acct.

So for now, that's only doing a bit of good, for showing collapsed acct names have new or unread mail.
Do you think it matters for this use case, that it doesn't have "#folderTree > treechildren" instead of just "treechildren?"

Most rules I've come across that were for the folders (Inbox, etc), used #folderTree at the front.

I don't remember exactly how it used to work. I think it may've been default behavior, to notify you by color change, if a collapsed acct had new (possibly unread) mail. I don't think I had code to color acct names on new mail arriving. They're always fixing things that don't need it & vice versa.
morat

Post by morat »

biffState-NewMail means the user has new mail waiting. It only works on an account folder. I believe the biff status is cleared when you touch the specific account in any way.

isServer-true selects an account folder. ( e.g. pop3, imap, none for Local Folders, nntp for News Server, rss for Feed Server )

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, isServer-true) {
  color: orange !important;
}
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, isServer-true, serverType-none) {
  color: red !important;
}
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(folderNameCol, isServer-true, serverType-nntp) {
  color: pink !important;
}
The style colors my Google IMAP account in orange, my Local Folders account in red and my Mozilla News Server in pink.

Reference
http://searchfox.org/comm-esr78/search? ... -&path=css
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

Thanks, morat. I appreciate it. That helps me understand - a bit :) - when & what those properties will affect.

For fans following along at home, I'm looking thru the unzipped omni.ja, in TB's program files (not the profile). It decompresses w/ 7zip - no special options (I'm using a 7zip plugin for another archive utility in Linux).
One problem is, I haven't found what, if anything, will change a folderpane account name color - for NEW mail & KEEP it. After the acct auto-checks for mail & there's none, the new mail color on Acct name or folder names goes away. Am I correct?

If I've been away from computer & don't see bold text so well, it appears there's no new mail - which isn't true.
I think color on a folder for unread mail will persist, after Tbird re-checks for mail. But without scanning all recent messages in a folder, I can't tell from a colored folder if unread msgs were from today or last week.

I'd settle for the icon by Acct Names changing color & keeping it, until I click on the acct.
morat

Post by morat »

I don't know how to make these properties behave differently.

* biffState-NewMail
* newMessages-true
* hasUnreadMessages-true
* subfoldersHaveUnreadMessages-true

Folder pane - unread mail and new mail display
http://www.linnhe2.free-online.co.uk/th ... %20display

I think the new mail status is cleared right before checking for new mail, but I'm not sure though.