Startpage search engine blocking Seamonkey?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
vtmozilla

Startpage search engine blocking Seamonkey?

Post by vtmozilla »

I don't know how general a problem this is, but StartPage is now blocking Seamonkey installs in my household. It is NOT blocking Firefox installs on the same computers. We do not use a proxy, screen scraping software, Tor browser, VPN, and are not on a company network.

Is anyone else seeing this?

The blocking message is:
We apologize for the inconvenience: to prevent possible abuse of the Startpage.com service, your Internet connection has been prevented from accessing it at this time.

This happens when a large number of search requests are received from one's Internet connection in a short amount of time -- for example, if you are using "screen-scraping" software, or if you are sharing a connection with many people, perhaps through a proxy service.

Otherwise, if you have received this message in error, please help us in investigation by providing following information:

- Are you using TOR or other anonymous proxies?
- Do you have special browser configuration or extensions?
- Are you using VPN?
- Are you using a company network?

We will seek to refine and correct this whenever possible. Thank you for your patience.
frg

Re: Startpage search engine blocking Seamonkey?

Post by frg »

Well they can't block SeaMonkey installs but seems they had a problem earlier and searching via them didn't work. Currently seems to be good. Makes no sense from them to block SeaMonkey because we have a contract with them but you never know :)

Will inquire if it comes up again. I actually use them as my primary search right now.

FRG
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Interesting. Well I normally run Linux, but I can also boot this laptop into Windows. So I did, and tried Seamonkey on Win7. It put up the same block message.

So here's the tally:

All instances of Seamonkey in this household are blocked from accessing StarPage. That covers 3 computers and 3 operating systems tested (Win, and two linuxes).

All instances of Firefox in the same household on the same computers, with all 3 operating systems can access Startpage with no problem. Therefore the IP is not blocked, just the Seamonkey browsers.

Because the problem has persisted even after I have wiped Seamonkey's cookies, cache and offline website data, I'm guessing Startpage may be blocking erroneously based simply on the Seamonkey user-agent.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Just to confirm, startpage search is working for me using seamonkey -
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

Never heard of them.

Tried it and got a couple of results. No nastygrams.
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Now an hour later I can access Startpage again from Seamonkey. No Idea why the whole issue occurred. I did write to Startpage about the problem. Maybe they released the block.
Wish You Were Here

What type of web connection are you on? Something that assigns IPs dynamically? I've been blocked out of sites in the past because of something somebody else did months earlier. I just happened to get an IP that the site had blocked. I was able to cycle the modem an get a new IP that wasn't blocked.
therube

Post by therube »

I didn't look (at this here or that there), but this Pale Moon thread likely has some related details, Fixed -> Startpage Search appears to be blocking all Moonchild browsers.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

I don't know if this matters or not now, but I've been using Startpage for a while now with SeaMonkey without any problems. I even have Startpage installed as a Search Engine option and it works just fine... no error messages.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

vtmozilla wrote:I don't know how general a problem this is, but StartPage is now blocking Seamonkey installs in my household.
  • Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.4
    Image But what do you expect? .... Using an insecure and outdated, version of SeaMonkey, that is almost three years old (SeaMonkey 2.49.4 - July 27, 2018').

BTW, personally I have absolutely NO problem, using Startpage:

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Wish You Were Here

Some bit got changed from 2.49.4 to 2.49.5. I don't know what, but most of the sites that I had trouble with in .4 work just fine with .5

2.5x.x messed up a lot of stuff for me again ... stuff that I depend on heavily.