Missing mail icon/shortcut now. Can't seem to make a new one

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
soltasword

Missing mail icon/shortcut now. Can't seem to make a new one

Post by soltasword »

So, I am missing my seamonkey mail icon altogether now. I was having issues with it last night so today, I uninstalled seamionkey and installed 2.53.7.1 since it was my last saved profile. And then installed each update to 2.53.8.1 and now I have no mail icon what-so-ever. I don't even have a seamonkey mail.exe file anywhere to make a shortcut for. Is there a way to make a seamonkey mail shortcut or was that somehow removed as I don't see any way to do it now. The mail icon/shortcut used to show up under the start menu but it is not there anymore. Please help and thanks.
Peter Creasey

Re: Missing mail icon/shortcut now. Can't seem to make a new

Post by Peter Creasey »

Is this mail icon issue a reason for general users to NOT update to 2.53.8.1?

Any guidance appreciated?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
soltasword

Post by soltasword »

No, mail works just fine. Only, there is no mail shortcut like there used to be. You can right click on the seamonkey shortcut/icon and get to mail that way. But there used to be a separate mail shortcut/icon which is missing now. I think they either took it out or forgot to add it with the last few builds. It didn't show up with 2.53.7.1 when I installed it. Wasn't there with the 2.53.8 update and also wasn't there with the 2.53.8.1 update. I think they just got rid of it or forgot to include it in the last few updates. Either way, it's gone and sure is a pain to get to mail now. I hope it gets added back in the next update because it was a great feature. Sure do miss it.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

soltasword wrote:[...] it's gone and sure is a pain to get to mail now.
Ctrl+2 opens "Mail & Newsgroups" window when Browser is open. You can click envelope icon in bottom-left corner to open M&N.

But if you really need that lousy icon on taskbar then:
press "Start" menu button -> find Star Menu folder with SeaMonkey -> click RMB on "SeaMonkey Mail" icon -> choose function that will pin it to taskbar

Works?
--
soltasword

Post by soltasword »

TPR75 wrote:
soltasword wrote:[...] it's gone and sure is a pain to get to mail now.
Ctrl+2 opens "Mail & Newsgroups" window when Browser is open. You can click envelope icon in bottom-left corner to open M&N.

But if you really need that lousy icon on taskbar then:
press "Start" menu button -> find Star Menu folder with SeaMonkey -> click RMB on "SeaMonkey Mail" icon -> choose function that will pin it to taskbar

Works?
I don't have the seamonkey mail icon in the seamonkey start menu folder. All I have in that folder is profile manager and seamonkey. There is no mail icon there. When I reinstalled seamonkey, it wasn't installed like it used to be. So, I don't have one. If I did, I wouldn't be posting here. What happened to it, I don't know.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

soltasword wrote:I don't have the seamonkey mail icon in the seamonkey start menu folder. All I ha
Make a normal SeaMonkey shortcut, right click it, select Properties and edit the Target box to read at the end - SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail instead of the existing SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" Click OK and you're done.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
soltasword

Post by soltasword »

Frank Lion wrote:
soltasword wrote:I don't have the seamonkey mail icon in the seamonkey start menu folder. All I ha
Make a normal SeaMonkey shortcut, right click it, select Properties and edit the Target box to read at the end - SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail instead of the existing SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" Click OK and you're done.
I did that already. Just wanted to know why the shortcut/icon went missing in the first place. But I can't add that shortcut to the taskbar since it isn't the actual email shortcut I used to have and the seamonkey shortcut is already on the taskbar. I even changed the icon picture for it but still can't add it to my taskbar.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

soltasword wrote: there is no mail shortcut like there used to be.
I guess I don't understand. With SM 2.53.8, I have the two bars at the bottom of my screen, the top of which shows the SM email icon (2nd icon from the left)...

What more might be needed?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Any opinions here?
Peter Creasey wrote:Is this mail icon issue a reason for general users to NOT update to 2.53.8.1?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Any opinions here?
Peter Creasey wrote:Is this mail icon issue a reason for general users to NOT update to 2.53.8.1?

Thanks.
Was this mail icon issue a reason for you NOT to update to 2.53.8?
soltasword wrote:But there used to be a separate mail shortcut/icon which is missing now. ...
.... Wasn't there with the 2.53.8 update
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:Any opinions here?

Thanks.
Was this mail icon issue a reason for you NOT to update to 2.53.8?
soltasword wrote:But there used to be a separate mail shortcut/icon which is missing now. ...
.... Wasn't there with the 2.53.8 update
Frank, I'm not clear which mail icon is being discussed. I still have the one next to the Browser icon in the bar just about the Task Bar and that is all I've ever used. If that one is staying there with 2.53.8.1, then I'm fine. If that 2.53.8.1 mail icon stays the same as the prior version, then again I'm fine.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

I am not aware of any problems with the 2.53.8.1 Windows install/update. I suspect the missing icons are manually pinned shortcuts and could be recreated. Worst case is to install the full installer again which should recreate missing things. Or just use it instead of the in place update. There were no installer changes between 2.53.8 and 2.53.8.1. Test updates I did were all ok but I use open shell menu on Windows 8.1 and higher and can't tell you how the native shell menu looks and if it might have developed a problem. I can't stand it so prefer to never see it.

I am aware of a problem where nntp associations and news shortcuts are not generated but this problem is old and usually occurs if you install along Thunderbird or after a de- and reinstall.

I am also aware that the installer needs a few Windows 8.1 and up updates but so far this has not caused problems.
markinson

Post by markinson »

I don't know if it's the same issue, but why don't you take a look at this thread: New SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1 has lost one of its icons in the bar

Anyway it looks quite similar.

Thank you in advance.
"Facesti come quei che va di notte, che porta il lume dietro e sé non giova, ma dopo sé fa le persone dotte"
Dante (Purgatorio, Canto XXII)
soltasword

Post by soltasword »

I did run the full installer ( 2.53.7.1, 2.53.8, and 2.53.8.1 ) the first time and it didn't place the seamonkey mail icon back in the start menu. I ran (2.53.8.1) again a day or so ago to see if it would place the seamonkey mail icon in the start menu but it did not. I have seamonkey on another computer and looked to see how to make a mail shortcut and did that which works just fine except that it won't let me place it on my taskbar. Since it is a seamonkey.exe shortcut, even though it opens the mail, windows won't let me put it on my taskbar as it says it is already there, which technically it is since I do have the seamonkey shortcut on the taskbar. But before 2.53.8.1 came along and the mail shortcut went missing or got changed somehow, I could put both the seamonkey shortcut and the mail shortcut on the taskbar since they were installed separately before. And now the mail shortcut is not being installed at all. I am using using win10 pro 64bit and running the 32 bit version of seamonkey. I think I did see a way to switch to the 64bit version of seamonkey and still keep my same profile but I could be wrong about that one.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

As indicated in the screen shot I included upthread, the SM email icon is still positioned as the second icon from the left in the bar just above my most bottom bar in SM 2.53.8.1.

I still can't figure out what icon is reportedly being missed by some people here.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete