copy not placed in sent folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cawsand

copy not placed in sent folder

Post by cawsand »

Hi TB continues to send messages ok, but not copying them to the sent folder.
Have checked settings in Account Settings - Place a copy in Sent folder at (my email address) Ticked
Is there a cure I'm missing please?
thanks CB

Error message:
Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent) due to network or file access errors.
You can retry or save the message locally to Local Folders/Sent- (my email address)
DanRaisch

Re: copy not placed in sent folder

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I assume you're using a IMAP account. I had similar problems with one of my accounts (Fastmail), all of the others worked fine. The workaround was to log into webmail and find the setting that told the smtp server to save a copy of the message when using a email client , and then disable Thunderbird saving its own copy. That worked and also increased performance as it cut in half the amount of data that got sent.

I suggest you check whether your email provider has a similar setting. They're usually configured for each personality (email address). If it doesn't, and you have more than one email provider think about using the other accounts smtp server with both accounts. At worst (for example if the other account is Gmail) you might have to register the second From: address with that accounts webmail.
cawsand

Post by cawsand »

Thanks for re-plies
I am sert up for imap port 143 security STARTTLS Normal Password Outgoing@ imap - smtp.toucansurf.com (default) port 587 normal password security STARTTLS

hope these details help?
thanks
CB
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you require access to that account from multiple computers or only from your primary desktop/laptop?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

cawsand wrote:Hi TB continues to send messages ok, but not copying them to the sent folder.
Have checked settings in Account Settings - Place a copy in Sent folder at (my email address) Ticked
Is there a cure I'm missing please?
Are you using version 91? And using Bcc for the copy?
cawsand

Post by cawsand »

Am, using multiple computers etc but only my desktop using TB all others are android using pre installed mail client. (would love to work in single software client across all platforms)

Current TB verson 78.14.0 in use on W10 laptop. Only using BCC when required, so copies are not being made irrespective.
TB on laptop now not receiving any new mail.
Am considering deleting problem email a/c in question then adding same account again. Will I loose stored folders in Appl Data on drive 'c'?
Thanks
CB
cawsand

Post by cawsand »

All sorted - I hope.
Simply deleted account of troublesome email copying problem, saving message data in Application Data, then did auto add account and all recognised.
Incoming server name changed automatically
Port changed
Outgoing Server changed.
All above corrections were from instructions given by Talk Talk staff when they were 'helping' me?
Thanks for all the help
cheers
RogerC