Does SeaMonkey (all of it) work on the M1 Macs?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
bigporter

Does SeaMonkey (all of it) work on the M1 Macs?

Post by bigporter »

I've searched the forum and release notes. I use COMPOSER daily on two Intel-based Macbooks.

I want to upgrade to an M1 Macbook.

Does Seamonkey and COMPOSER work?
Anonymosity

Re: Does SeaMonkey (all of it) work on the M1 Macs?

Post by Anonymosity »

Does Big Sur not have Rosetta2? It should be able to translate Intel code into ARM code.
bigporter

Post by bigporter »

I have Big Sur and Seamonkey Composer running on a 2014 Intel Mac. If Seamonkey Composer is working because of Rosetta then I guess I'll be good if I move to an M1 (or newer) Macbook. Thank you!
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

I just tested SM x86_64 running on an M1 Mac mini - no issues, works as expected.

I might try compiling native ARM64 version from source later :-)
bigporter

Post by bigporter »

trevoz wrote:I just tested SM x86_64 running on an M1 Mac mini - no issues, works as expected.
Thank you!
frg

Post by frg »

I got all the fixes I found in some time ago. Please also check video playback and mutlimedia in general.

Compiling native arm will only work for Linux. Needs more stuff ported. I am on it for the mid term but if someone wants to help with porting help always welcome. Build system is now at 60 level with much stuff up to 68a1 and a few later ones in. Next goal is to get rid of python 2 then Windows and Apple arm support. Won't happen over night thou with only me and IanN doing about 90% of the source patches.
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

frg wrote:Compiling native arm will only work for Linux. Needs more stuff ported. I am on it for the mid term but if someone wants to help with porting help always welcome. Build system is now at 60 level with much stuff up to 68a1 and a few later ones in. Next goal is to get rid of python 2 then Windows and Apple arm support. Won't happen over night thou with only me and IanN doing about 90% of the source patches.
The issue I faced when trying to compile natively on the M1 seems to be Gatekeeper related. The python executable which is copied to the virtual environment is killed by the operating system on execution. The M1 requires all code to be validly signed, if only ad hoc or Gatekeeper kills it on execution.

Code: Select all

0:06.52 /usr/bin/make -f client.mk -s configure
 0:06.53 cd /Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1/objdir-sm253
 0:06.54 /Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1/configure
 0:06.66 Creating Python environment
 0:06.72 New python executable in /Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1/objdir-sm253/_virtualenv/bin/python
 0:06.72 ERROR: The executable /Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1/objdir-sm253/_virtualenv/bin/python is not functioning
Checking for a valid signature fails on the copied version:

trev@macmini8 [/Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1] $ codesign -vv /Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1/objdir-sm253/_virtualenv/bin/python

/Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1/objdir-sm253/_virtualenv/bin/python: invalid Info.plist (plist or signature have been modified)

In architecture: arm64e
The original is, of course, fine:

trev@macmini8 [/Users/trev/seamonkey-2.53.9.1] $ codesign -vv /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python: valid on disk
/usr/bin/python: satisfies its Designated Requirement
Yet when I manually copy the file, all is well:

trev@macmini8 [/Users/trev] $ codesign -vv /Users/trev/python
/Users/trev/python: valid on disk
/Users/trev/python: satisfies its Designated Requirement
I messed around with configure.py but got nowhere. Unfortunately I have never come to grips with python, being an old C and Pascal programmer, so I don't know how much help I can be, but I'm more than willing to help if I can.