Links don't open Firefox or in Firefox

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

Links don't open Firefox or in Firefox

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

This post is related to this post which was resolved: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3072986

This thread can be deleted or ignored.

===
I've done a lot of searching but to no avail. Links don't open Firefox and even when open they don't load in Firefox. I read Chrome may have the same issue.
When Firefox is open I get the "Firefox is already running..." message and if I click the "Close Firefox" button of course it terminates FF.

"Cancel" does nothing.

I thought I had seen a message from Microsoft that may be related to running the application (FF or Chrome) run as Administrator but I'm not doing that as that causes links to fail from desktop and email.

Any info?
===
Last edited by BruceAWittmeier on March 24th, 2021, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
streetwolf

Re: Links don't open Firefox or in Firefox

Post by streetwolf »

Do you mean external links like within a program? I just tried a few programs like CPU-Z, GPU-Z and the links in them open up Fx just fine. If what you are experiencing is different then please explain more fully.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:I've done a lot of searching but to no avail. Links don't open Firefox and even when open they don't load in Firefox. I read Chrome may have the same issue.
When Firefox is open I get the "Firefox is already running..." message and if I click the "Close Firefox" button of course it terminates FF.

"Cancel" does nothing.

I thought I had seen a message from Microsoft that may be related to running the application (FF or Chrome) run as Administrator but I'm not doing that as that causes links to fail from desktop and email.

Any info?
try a new Profile ? going by this thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3072442 you have probably done something to stop links from not opening in firefox
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Your problem might be caused by a faulty association in Windows if the links are in an external program. I had this problem well over a year ago and I recall fixing it somehow.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

streetwolf wrote:Your problem might be caused by a faulty association in Windows if the links are in an external program. I had this problem well over a year ago and I recall fixing it somehow.
i had the same problem,but i think i fixed it by either making a New Firefox an Thunderbird profile or changing things around in settings > default programs within Windows itself
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
BruceAWittmeier

I reset the default to Chrome, launched it and it loaded as expected. I closed it and changed the default to FF. Now when I double click a desktop link it opens a new tab in the existing FF. That's what I wanted -- It now seems to be correct.

Now I don't see the msg Firefox is already running...

Thanks.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
BruceAWittmeier

It doesn't appear I can drag-n-drop links to Firefox Ver 94.0b8. Similar to this thread:

I can double click the links (html files on my PC) and they open as do links in Thunderbird mail...but can't drag a file to FF.
I did add the switch -no-elevate to the desktop icon but no change (on or off).

Seems like a moving target to keep it working.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Drag and Drop was broken a few days ago, but the latest Nightly has fixed all of some of the problems.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1736523
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:It doesn't appear I can drag-n-drop links to Firefox Ver 94.0b8.
WFM.
Version 94.0b9 Build ID 20211021185848
aurora Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:94.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/94.0
BruceAWittmeier

Only way I can make this work for drag-and-drop, links from email and open FF (build 9) by a new link is using the -no-elevate switch and run as administrator in the command line/Icon.
Is this what everyone is seeing?
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:Only way I can make this work for drag-and-drop, links from email and open FF (build 9) by a new link is using the -no-elevate switch and run as administrator in the command line/Icon.
Is this what everyone is seeing?
No. The only command line switch I use is <-profile> and I run without admin privileges.
BruceAWittmeier

The link on the taskbar is set to "Run as administrator"
G:\Firefox\firefox.exe -no-elevate -p me
This is the only way I can get all the features to work correctly (clicking a link in email, drag/drop any link, double click an html page on my pc to open firefox when not running)

Any time I do not use the Run as Administrator I get the security dialog to run the program

I do owe it to create a new profile as suggested above.
therube

Post by therube »

I did add the switch -no-elevate to the desktop icon but no change (on or off).
What is "-no-elevate"?
I wasn't aware there was such an animal?
(Or is that only in Nightly? [I don't have Nightly.])
The link on the taskbar is set to "Run as administrator"
Why?
Why would you be running "as administrator"? Isn't that going to be inherently unsafe?

And then, assuming there is some "-no-elevate" (FF) switch, how does that then correlate to running FF (via Windows) "as administrator".

You don't want to be running "as administrator" (unless you have some very good reason to do so, which I can't fathom).

And your drag&drop issues are very likely related to the same.
You normally cannot d&d between different process levels, so you, as a "normal" user (& a desktop link or whatever) & someone else (i.e., not you) who is being run as "as administrator". When you "Run as Administrator" that admin process is not you.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BruceAWittmeier

This all started several weeks ago after an update. I was unable to get an email link to start/open Firefox. While I was searching for information I found a comment on MS website (sorry I have lost it) that indicated something to the effect that you cannot run a program at a higher level than the operating system/user level...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1265388
I found this thread -- see comments by JScher2000 (the switch is -no-deelevate -- I had the switch wrong)
I don't know if the exact problem is what I was experiencing but it sounded like it was related...so I tried it and it fixed the problem.
I think I have tried every combination and this is the only solution that gives me full functionality.
I'm wide open to comments & suggestions.

Edit:
I think the problem existed in the profile (link properties) as I had references to the switch in the link that showed up in some of the properties and I couldn't get rid of them. I did a fresh install using a new clean profile -- then copied my profile over the newly created one and all worked as expected.

Thanks to all contributing to a solution. :)