Unable to log in at server - Yahoo

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JGAM

Unable to log in at server - Yahoo

Post by JGAM »

Receiving the Unable to log in at server error message when tring to add two more Yahho!maill acvccounts. I have already added two Yahoo! accounts with no problem, also two Gmail accounts with no problem. Please advise. Thanks.
Last edited by DanRaisch on December 2nd, 2021, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "Yahoo" to subject
DanRaisch

Re: Unable to log in at server

Post by DanRaisch »

What is the exact text of the error message?
JGAM

Re: Unable to log in at server

Post by JGAM »

Unlike the previous Yahoo! account setup, it states "Checking Password" for several minutes, and then shows "Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong name, configuration or password." Also, it only offers POP3 as the only available configuration.
I seem to remember I had two options for my previous Yahoo! account setup, and the Gmail setup. I'm pretty sure there was an IMAP (Remote Folders) configuration option which is no longer there when I try to create another Yahoo! account.
My previous account set ups went through immediately with no problems.
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to log in at server - Yahoo

Post by tanstaafl »

The new account wizard in 91.4.0 defaults to a yahoo IMAP account when I give it a yahoo.com email address. There is a radio button to select between POP and IMAP. 91.4.0 hasn't been formally released yet but I don't think there any changes in the new account wizard between it and 91.3.2.

What domain is your yahoo email address using?
Does it say it found it in the Mozilla ISP database?
JGAM

Post by JGAM »

A green box appears with a check mark stating Configuration Found in Mozilla Database.
Domain is @sbcglobal.net
Host is Att.net
There is no radio button to select either IMAP or POP3, but when I select manual configuration there is an option to select IMAP from a drop-down list. Otherwise, POP3 is the default.
When using the Manual Configuration option, I get the error message "Thunderbird Failed To Find The Settings For Your E-Mail Account" with both the IMAP and POP3 options.
When using the available option I get the error message "Unable To Log In At Server. Probably Wrong Configuration, Username Or Password."
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

When you set up the Thunderbird account, which password did you use--the one you use for the web-based email page, or the "Secure Mail Key" used for setting up the Thunderbird account?

In order for Thunderbird to work with ATT/Yahoo/Sbcglobal, you have to create a Secure Mail Key and use that for the Thunderbird password. This explains it:

https://www.att.com/support/article/ema ... KM1240308/

HTH,
Ortho_Fan
JGAM

Post by JGAM »

Okay. I use my web-based email password. Let me try the "Secure Mail Key" and try again. I shall update afterwards. Thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Actually it says "If your email program or app doesn’t use OAuth technology, you’ll only be able to access AT&T Mail with a 16-character secure mail key." Thunderbird supports OAuth.

Secure mail key seems to be their name for a application specific password.
JGAM

Post by JGAM »

I have tried logging in to both my sbcglobal.net accounts (one is a sub account) and Att.net account and after following the directions up to "Profile/Sign In Info" in the Att.net account I see no option for "Manage secure mail key" Please advise.

Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

JGAM wrote:I have tried logging in to both my sbcglobal.net accounts (one is a sub account) and Att.net account and after following the directions up to "Profile/Sign In Info" in the Att.net account I see no option for "Manage secure mail key" Please advise.

That's odd. I just tried it via the link I provided and at the very bottom of the screen, I spotted a box, on the left hand side, with my account information, as shown, with the three options listed below it:

Your AT&T Currently.com email
Primary member ID: _______@sbcglobal.net

Manage email
Manage secure mail key
AT&T email help

Clicking on the "Manage secure mail key" link took me to the appropriate page.

I did all this a few years ago, so perhaps the latest version of Thunderbird no longer requires a special password as "tanstaafl" indicated above your post.

Ortho_Fan