[RESOLVED] What happened to "Preferences" and "Customize"

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jjanderson5

[RESOLVED] What happened to "Preferences" and "Customize"

Post by jjanderson5 »

I'm looking at Firefox 91.5.0esr and have to ask what happened to "Preferences" and "Customize"? The main reason that I use Firefox as my browser is that I can set my preferences and customize my look and feel. When I customize, I always display the tool bar and menu. And I have preferences that I always set when I install firefox.

Maybe there is a way customize the new version. If there is, I will be a happy camper and move forward.

For the time being, I will continue to use old versions of Firefox. When I can not customize new versions and can no longer install old versions in new releases of Debian Linux, I will find a different browser.

Without customization, the new version gets a thumbs down!

Jim A.
Last edited by jjanderson5 on January 26th, 2022, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: What happened to "Preferences" and "Customize"

Post by DanRaisch »

To what preferences and customization are you referring? Have you looked under Tools->Settings
James

Post by James »

With visible Menu bar it is Edit > Settings and with three line Menu button it is Settings at near bottom.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... d-settings

For Customize toolbars you can right-click the Navigation toolbar or Menu bar and select Customize toolbar. You can also go to three line Menu button and More tools and Customize toolbar.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... d-toolbars
jjanderson5

Post by jjanderson5 »

@DanRaisch

There is an icon that when I hover on it, is says "open menu". If I click on this icon, it brings up a menu. In older versions of firefox, this menu included an item named, "Preferences", and another item named, "Customize".

In version 91.5, neither of these appear. James points out that I can get to what used to be "Preferences" by going to what is now the "Open Application Menu" and clicking on "Settings".
jjanderson5

Post by jjanderson5 »

@James

As you can see in my response to DanRaisch, I did find the old "Preference" by opening the menu and selecting "Settings". Thank you for that suggestion. One of the two items is resolved.

Regarding the "Customize Toolbar" option. I read you suggestion 2 or three times because I am not familiar with the terminology that you used. I still am not sure what the "Navigation toolbar" is nor the "Menu bar", However, I did go to the "Open Applications Menu" button, more tools. My eyes went right by the "Customize Toolbar" and it was only on the 2nd or 3rd view that I found it. The problem was that "Customize Toolbar", at first glance appears to be a header for the menu and my eyes went right by it. But I did find it, so my 2nd item is also resolved.

Again thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Jim A.