Declining support

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dewardblevins

Declining support

Post by dewardblevins »

I wanted to post a headsup for SeaMonkey support.

SeaMonkey does not work with Chase Bank online and now is problematic with the Etrade site. Firefox works just fine.
This could cause of declining use of SeaMonkey. SeaMonkey Developers might want to look into this.
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Declining support

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I see a note on Chase.com that they do not support this (SeaMonkey) browser any more and you should update to a modern browser. It did appear to work correctly -- don't know what might fail as I do not have an account.

Etrade does not seem to have any problem I can see from a quick check. Appears to all work correctly.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dewardblevins

Post by dewardblevins »

I have an account at Chase and Etrade. I retired from IBM 30 years ago. I wrote code to test firmware on harddrives.

Last year Chase finally stopped letting me log in while using SeaMonkey. I log in just fine with Firefox. It appears whoever programed for them hardcoded the browser names in their sign on module.

Etrade had a problem last week where the tool bar stopped appearing for everyone. They fixed that, but only for the big 4 browsers. SeaMonkey still logs in just fine, but the tool bar does not appear, making it practically unusable as that is how many of the features are accessed.

I just wanted to let developers know because as good as Firefox is, I still prefer SeaMonkey.
lem3

Post by lem3 »

Chase.com works fine for me with the following addition to about:config
name: general.useragent.override.chase.com
value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:85.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/85.0

You'll need this as well if it's not set already:
name: general.useragent.site_specific_overrides
value: true
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

lem3 wrote:Chase.com works fine for me with the following addition to about:config
name: general.useragent.override.chase.com
value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:85.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/85.0

You'll need this as well if it's not set already:
name: general.useragent.site_specific_overrides
value: true

What's the difference in "Win64; x64" and "WOW64" (which is what I've been using)?...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
James

Post by James »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

Wow64 = Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit

Win64; x64 is 64-bit Firefox on 64-bit Windows.
dewardblevins

Post by dewardblevins »

Thanks, I'll look into it.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

I am having trouble with the Amazon page now causing seamonkey to freeze because of the scripts. :(
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Amazon continues to work fine with my SM 2.53.13.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

So why am I having issues...It's the same program. My seamonkey is having trouble with web pages that have scripts or too many scripts.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Not sure what reason is, but would also be very interested to find out.

My laptop being an older HP Envy with SSD, 8GB ram, win 10 Intel I5 and seamonkey 32 bit latest versions often works just fine, even though some scripts do bog it down or make pages load very slowly

My wifes laptop is a newer HP Envy with SSD, 8GB ram, win 10 Ryzen 5 and same seamonky 64 bit sometimes freezes loading those same pages, or displays the dialog about non-responsive scripts.

I have no idea why these scripts behave so unpredictably and why they run so slowly in Seamonkey as opposed to other browsers. There are many threads complaining of this or similar issues.

It must be something that is really hard to fix, or they would have fixed it by now.
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

And now Protonmail won't load no matter what UA I use.

Loaded fine a week ago.
Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here wrote:And now Protonmail won't load no matter what UA I use.

Loaded fine a week ago.

"Proton Mail is compatible with other browsers not listed here (for example Pale Moon, IceCat, and SeaMonkey) but has not been tested extensively using them. It is therefore possible you may encounter more bugs when using browsers that are not officially supported.

The browser you are using must support the Web Cryptography AP in order to work with the encryption we use."

Thoughts?
Wish You Were Here

Mastercard Identity Risk site no longer works, nor does the Play store. They both did recently.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

hayley3 wrote:I am having trouble with the Amazon page now causing seamonkey to freeze because of the scripts. :(
Both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk (both of which I use myself) are working fine for me.
Wish You Were Here wrote:And now Protonmail won't load no matter what UA I use.
Protonmail (which I use myself) is working fine for me.
Wish You Were Here wrote:Mastercard Identity Risk site no longer works, nor does the Play store. They both did recently.
Tested both sites and both sites work fine for me.
Wish You Were Here wrote:Thoughts?
Sure, here's one - your UA here shows as Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:85.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/85.0 Lightning/5.4 - so don't use a 3 - 4 year old version of SeaMonkey, as I've mentioned to you over 18 months ago -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14887097

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14908354
Simple, Lightning has always been version specific with a min as well as a strict version max compatibility setting and Lightning 5.4 is only for a SM 2.49 version. Well, that, and the fact that SeaMonkey removed the Lightning suffix from SM ages ago.

Final thought
- You adding the fact that you are using an old 2.49.x version of SeaMonkey to every post you make complaining about websites, would certainly save the time of everyone around here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)