Pin Tab & Other Tips.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Re: Pin Tab

Post by Frank Lion »

Ebay Top Tip :

On the default SeaMonkey, when you go to Ebay UK or Ebay.com and browse the search results there, you'll notice that when you click on a likely item that a new tab is opened. This can easily result in opening 12+ unneeded new tabs very quickly!

Fix

#1. Enter about:config in addressbar, click past 'warnings' and search for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction

#2. Right click on that entry and select Modify and enter 0

You're done. Ebay links will now open in the same tab, like any other civilised website.

Tags: Edge itv switch FF33
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14939799

It occurred to me that extensions I take for granted and have used for years, back in my Firefox days, may well be ones that people have never even heard of, let alone use.

The LCD Clock mentioned in the link above is such an example, I've used that since about 2007 and, er, just assumed everyone knew about it.

So...here's another gem that I first used from around the same time and it's an extension that, for me, replaces the SeaMonkey Mail Lightning extension, that I just cannot get on with.

It's - ReminderFox Version 2.1.6.3

Go down the Version History list here - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-GB/th ... minderfox/ and you want that version and no other. I can't remember if you need to put it through the Converter, but I don't think so.

Ignore the Reviews on the link, as they are all from post 2019 when T/Bird changed to using webextensions and messed up a lot of its extension base in doing so. But this version is before all that and will work in SeaMonkey, which is just as well as any web-extension.xpi will not.

It's a great extension, that works both in the mail AND browser parts of SM and I really wouldn't be without it. My version is all fancy with new graphics, etc. but the original version functions just as well.

Very simple to use, but with a great range of options, if you want them -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oBNFlNSnI

Frank :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
v_v

Re: Pin Tab & Other Tips.

Post by v_v »

Frank,

Thanks for the alert. I had never heard of this extension---just like you stated. I realize that you stated that it "replaces the SeaMonkey Mail Lightning extension, that I just cannot get on with." So I use the Lightning/Lightbird combo for mostly the same purposes (along with several other reminder programs). What would be the benefits, if any, of ReminderFox over the Lightning/Lightbird combo?

v_v
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

v_v wrote:What would be the benefits, if any, of ReminderFox over the Lightning/Lightbird combo?
If you've already mastered the learning curve of Lightning, then I suspect you would get minimal benefit by switching to ReminderFox.

However, I've always had a preference for simple and effective extensions and found Lightning over-complicated for my needs and certainly was never impressed by their version specific policy, which meant that after updating SeaMonkey I was often left with nothing, until they deigned to provide a new Lightning version.

Plus, I want my calendar/reminders right in the browser where I am 99% of the time when SM is open and not in Mail or in a Component, like Chatzilla, etc. This means that in addition to Alerts/Notifications etc. that I can just hover over the ReminderFox button at any time and see what's coming up. Plus, the backups (exported to a flashdrive) are fairly human readable. All just my personal preferences.

However, I'm sure for those who need and understand Lightning it is a marvellous extension.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

YouTube - Top Tip

For a good while, the initial loading time of YouTube pages has been incredibly long and recently I got a couple of script warnings. Based on that, I came up with this fix that fixes that and seems to have no adverse effect on other sites -

#1. Enter about:config in addressbar.

#2.
On that page, use Search to find dom.webcomponents.customelements.enabled and dom.webcomponents.enabled Right click both entries and Toggle to true.

#3. You're done.

This also fixes the 'Assets' on Github as well, so you don't need those extensions and also the loading of the Electronic Arts website http://ea.com/ (neither of which sites I hardly ever use, but I thought I ought to mention.)

Here's general info about web-components - https://exyte.com/blog/web-components-technology

Let me know if you find other sites that get fixed by this and I'll add them.
frg

Post by frg »

Web components is still work in progress. Shadow Dom does not work until we are at least able to enable the new style system. But for gitlab and github and normal browsing it is ok. I am working on porting the new regexp parser over too but slow go. Waterfox did it but rebasing their patches to our tree is not fast.
v_v

Post by v_v »

Frank,

Just for clarification, are you saying that your "YouTube - Top Tip" fix makes the "polyfill" and "palefill" extensions discussed at " http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14942574 " UNNECESSARY? Seemingly I have verified your statement by trying the fix while also disabling "palefill". But I just wanted to be sure that that was what you were saying.

v_v
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

v_v wrote:But I just wanted to be sure that that was what you were saying.
That is what I'm saying, but it comes with a 'but' - the above fix sure fixes the invisible assets on Github, but I don't know if those 2 extensions fix other problems, if they exist, on Github as well. I only use the Git site about twice a year for getting .xpis and have no knowledge or interest in it, apart from that.

@frg - Thanks for info
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

@Frank and @frg - thanks both for the "Top Tip" and the dev work on "web components"... given the increasing "creaky-ness" of just having the polyfill add-on in SM, I was retreating more and more to Edge for Github work - now I don't have to! :)

To be clear, I haven't disabled / removed polyfill, but certainly using it with the above-mentioned enabling of "web components", Github viewed / used with SM now appears to be fully functional [again].
v_v

Post by v_v »

Frank,

About the "YouTube Top Tip".

Inadvertently I found a casualty of changing the two "dom.webcomponents. . . " to true.

I regularly use " archive.org " and I found that the viewer there for viewing books does not load properly when the two webcomponents are set to "true". Try the following web page with both "true" and "false" to see what I mean: " https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dl ... 3/mode/2up ".

Set to true the page will appear but the viewer for viewing the book and its pages does not. Set to false the viewer for viewing the book and its pages does appear.

Any thoughts or further fixes, etc?

v_v
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

v_v wrote:Any thoughts or further fixes, etc?
This fix is working very well for the YouTube sites that I wanted it for but I figured there must be a downside somewhere, otherwise web components would be 'true' by default.

I suggest you bookmark the about:config page, right click that bookmark and under Properties enter about:config?filter=webcompo as Location.

When the bookmark is opened then just double left click the entries to toggle them on/off to suit your style of browsing.
v_v

Post by v_v »

Frank,

Thanks. That is a cumbersome manual fix but it should work. I do not know enough to have even tried to figure that out!

To anyone following this thread the bookmark "Properties" does not seem to be accessible from inside the "Manage Bookmarks" Library. Instead simply click Bookmarks on the menu bar (or the Bookmarks Toolbar if you have that activated), find the bookmark, then right-click it and follow Frank's instructions.

v_v
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Windows 7 Users - Top Tip

The easiest way to stop SeaMonkey using too much memory (RAM) and going all sluggish on you, is just to restart. I use a Restart Button, but you can also use the default one in the about:profiles page.

Trouble is, how often do you restart and know that you need to without looking at the Task Manager? Simple, use this -

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Mem ... kbar.shtml

It's good and warns me when it's a good idea to restart (SM using more than 2GB for me). I now only restart twice a day, instead of the four times a day when I was just guessing.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ebay Top Tip II :

This is a sort of continuation of this post above -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14935660

The final Ebay problem I had was that when you pay by PalPal, that the intended PayPal popup never pops up and you just get a spinning icon.

The Fix (
taken from my 'discovery' post here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14950585 ) -

#1.
Enter about:config in addressbar and search for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction Right click that entry, select Modify to set to the value 0

#2.
Menu> Edit>Preferences>Browser>Link Behaviour .... check/tick A New Tab in the Current Window (2nd option from the top)

#3. You're done. The Ebay never loading PayPal popup now opens up instead in a new tab and works fine. (tested with a real order, none of this 'in theory' stuff)

I should probably have tried fixing that one ages ago, but I thought the fix was going to be a lot more complicated than that, so put it on the back burner. Lesson learnt. :)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks, Frank. I did #1 and didn't have to do #2 as "New Tab in the Current Window" was already checked.

We'll see what we see.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete