JavaScript things not working at sites

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ck42

JavaScript things not working at sites

Post by ck42 »

Is it just the 'ole 'it's desinged to work with IE' thing or what?

I keep running across stuff that is java/javascript that doesn't work in PX and have to fire up IE6.

How do I know if I have all the java stuff setup properly?
willll

Post by willll »

some examples sites and version info please
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

I have noticed a problem on some sites where js windows don't open. It appears to be related to having "Open any link in new tab" enabled in Tabbed Browsing Extensions. If I turn off this option, everything works okay.

Running Win2k, PX 0.5-20021207, TBE v1.5.20021123
ck42

Post by ck42 »

Hmm....lastest one was the CNN homepage Quick Vote down near the bottom on the right hand side.
I'll try to post others as I run across them.

BTW...I'm not using the Open any link in New Tab option in the Tab extension.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

ck42 wrote:Hmm....lastest one was the CNN homepage Quick Vote down near the bottom on the right hand side.

I guess you've popup blocking turned on and didn't let the page load completely.
DocWardo

Post by DocWardo »

yeah If I remember correctly popup blocking works by preventign the window.open fuction from working during page loading so even if you are clicking for a desired pop-up to open the function is still blocked till the page completely loads. Don't know if you can hit stop to stop the page loading and then click on the popup. with my cable modem and the speed of phoenix I havn't had that happen to me yet to even warrent figuring it out.
scratch

Post by scratch »

You have to wait for the page to load on its own, if you hit the stop you will be unable to get popups until you reload.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

willll wrote:some examples sites and version info please

Version: Almost every nightly and milestone from late October (shortly before 0.4) till today (12/9 nightly).

Example site: http://www.wsmonline.com

Go into the archives of the Grand Ole Opry and drill down till you get to a link that is supposed to play an archived broadcast. You'll see in the status bar that the link contains a pound sign. (#) And it does absolutely nothing.

If you right-click the link to open it in a new tab or a new window, the menu page is simply repeated.

If you look at the source code for that menu page, you will find that behind those pound signs are some javascript lines that Phoenix just isn't picking up on. The script stuff is there to determine which audio file should be sent based on the user's choice of broadcast date and connection speed.

(I'm sure WSM is not trying to exclude non-IE browsers. The live broadcast link works perfectly. It's only the archives that cause the problem.)
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Neil Parks wrote:Go into the archives of the Grand Ole Opry and drill down till you get to a link that is supposed to play an archived broadcast. You'll see in the status bar that the link contains a pound sign. (#) And it does absolutely nothing.
[...]
If you look at the source code for that menu page, you will find that behind those pound signs are some javascript lines that Phoenix just isn't picking up on. The script stuff is there to determine which audio file should be sent based on the user's choice of broadcast date and connection speed.
[...]
(I'm sure WSM is not trying to exclude non-IE browsers. The live broadcast link works perfectly. It's only the archives that cause the problem.)

They effectively shut out every browser but IE (and some versions of Opera) and NS4:

Code: Select all

var isIE = (document.all)?1:0;
var isNN = (document.layers)?1:0;

This was state of the art in 1996, but not any longer nowadays.

Additionally there's the following syntax error:

if(isIE)
{
  ...some code...
};
else
{
  ..some other code...
}
Last edited by laszlo on December 9th, 2002, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Neil Parks wrote:
willll wrote:some examples sites and version info please

Version: Almost every nightly and milestone from late October (shortly before 0.4) till today (12/9 nightly).

Example site: http://www.wsmonline.com

Go into the archives of the Grand Ole Opry and drill down till you get to a link that is supposed to play an archived broadcast. You'll see in the status bar that the link contains a pound sign. (#) And it does absolutely nothing.

If you right-click the link to open it in a new tab or a new window, the menu page is simply repeated.

JS Console reports: Error: openPlayer is not defined

according to the source, you're not supposed to be allowed to right-click, either (I hate that). But that doesn't work either.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

laszlo wrote:
Neil Parks wrote:(I'm sure WSM is not trying to exclude non-IE browsers. The live broadcast link works perfectly. It's only the archives that cause the problem.)

They effectively shut out every browser but IE (and some versions of Opera) and NS4:

This was state of the art in 1996, but not any longer nowadays.

Additionally there's the following syntax error:

if(isIE)
{
  ...some code...
};
else
{
  ..some other code...
}

I've tried adjusting the UA to say I'm running various versions of IE or NN, but the results are always exactly the same.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Neil Parks wrote:
laszlo wrote:They effectively shut out every browser but IE (and some versions of Opera) and NS4:

I've tried adjusting the UA to say I'm running various versions of IE or NN, but the results are always exactly the same.

This isn't testing the user agent, it's checking for supported objects (document.all -> IE4+, document.layers -> NS4), which is the right way in principle, but modern browsers (among them IE5+) support a superior technology (the W3C DOM), which is what should be checked for and used nowadays, by using something like "var DOM = (document.getElementById)?1:0" for example.