Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

@ShareBird

I tried your fix but it didn't work, I edited tab.css and tabmix.xml per your instructions but it didn't work. I'm using Mostly Crystal 1.0 theme.
CPU

Post by CPU »

it says in ur sig ur using 1.04, the fix in tabmix.xml are for the trunk builds
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

Is there any way to get the tab loading icon to reappear again on the 1.0.x branch?
CPU

Post by CPU »

yes as a matter of fact there is, just add this to ur userchrome.css

Code: Select all

tab[busy] .tab-site-icon, tabs[busy] .tab-site-icon {
list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/throbber/throbber16.gif") !important;
}
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

You have to delete these lines on skin/classic/tabmix/tab.css:

Code: Select all

tab[busy] .tab-site-icon, tabs[busy] .tab-site-icon {
list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/Throbber-small.gif");
opacity: 0.5;
}

Lanik

Post by Lanik »

@CPU

Much appreciated, it works.
:banana:
mjolnir870

Post by mjolnir870 »

is there a way to set a default set of permissions for each page. for example, i want to disable redirects on all pages. can that be done with tab mix or a hidden pref?
CPU

Post by CPU »

the persmissions that are set are just temporary, but if you want to remove redirects why not use redirect remover

it certainly much better suited to take the job
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Hi CPU,

could you add to your file the little modification I mentioned in this topic:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=267717

???

Thanks... :D
mjolnir870

Post by mjolnir870 »

thanks CPU for the tip. i already had a bookmarklet that removes redirects, but it was getting annoying clicking it everytime i wanted to circumvent them. ](*,)
mjolnir870

Post by mjolnir870 »

i have a problem with your Tab Mix build, CPU. everytime i open a new tab, the tab bar and the browser window title show the line

* Indicates Sell

it acts as if it is the title of the tab until the tab's real title is loaded. then it disappears. this only happened after i installed your build, and disabling tab mix makes this problem disappear. i also have the firesomething extension installed, in case it happens to be a conflict.
CPU

Post by CPU »

@mjolnir870,
the only thing that i can think of that could be causing that problem is "use bookmarks name as tab title"

on a sidenote
i managed to reduce the size of the extension from 51kb to 45kb. however, i noticed that if i take out the image from undoclosetab button the extension goes to 40kb. this is because it is 5kb in size which was taken from tab bin. Also, to make it more compatible with other themes, i have included the icon from the default theme because of the fact that not all themes have the path to the classic image.

to be original would anyone with some skills, make an image for the uct button that is smaller in size. perhaps one for the new tab button and an extension icon as well?

edit- i managed to reduce the size of the image by converting it to .gif, now the extension is 41kb, however, the icons are welcomed!
Last edited by CPU on May 31st, 2005, 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjolnir870

Post by mjolnir870 »

yeah the "use bookmark name" option was the problem.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

onemen wrote:
MorpheusUK wrote:Hi CPU,

Since you already seem to be going down the TabMix lite/TabMix enhanced route can I raise the old chestnut of loading and saving tabs as per my previous post here. This got mixed reactions last time as some where concerned about the size of the featureset whilst others considered it a logical expansion of existing functionality but since you already have two versions this will not be as much of an issue.

Morpheus

to add full session saver is much more complicated than just play around with some function in existing code.
if u need full session saver support it better to use rue SessionSaver and disable the session restore in tabmix. i can always can copy all rue SessionSaver extension and pack it together with Tabmix, but what is the point ?

I support Morpheus' request for TabMix to allow Load/Save/Delete of tab sessions (ie. the same functionality offered by TBE's Session Saver feature). I don't require all the extra functionality of SessionSaver, just basic Load/Save/Delete of tab sessions.

Please reconsider...

Below are a couple of the original posts made in support of this feature...

Defenestration wrote:
logixoul wrote:
MorpheusUK wrote:I expect a lot of Tab Mix users (myself included) are using it in combination with either session saver or crash recovery. As there is already the facility to restore the last session could this be expanded to allow the loading and saving of sessions as per TBE/Session Saver and a crash recovery option as per the Crash Recovery extension.
It would increase the size and decrease the speed of the extension too much. Maybe in a version far, far away, in another age... please understand. The aim of Tab Mix is to be small, fast and non-buggy at the opposite of Tabbrowser Extensions. Sorry.

That's a shame because this is one of the features I use all the time with TBE and would swap to TabMix straight away if it had Load/Save/Delete tab sessions feature (and the scrollbar for the multi-row tabs :) ). I don't understand why adding Load/Save capability would decrease the speed of TabMix a lot because surely the extra code would only be executed when accessing this feature.

As for the increased size, this is inevitable to a small extent, but surely it wouldn't be that much of an addition. I say that because it would just be an extension (no pun intended) of the current SessionSaver functionality that is already included, as mentioned by Morpheus. The only additional code required is the ability to store/read/delete a list of saved sessions, and the code to handle the menu display. This could easily be lifted from TBE since I have never had any stability related problems with this feature in TBE. Each saved session could be of the same format as used by the current SessionSaver in TabMix, meaning that no additional code (or very minimal) would be needed to read and load in the actual list of websites in each session.

Please can you reconsider adding this Load/Save/Delete Sessions feature to TabMix.

MorpheusUK wrote:
Defenestration wrote:You're missing the point. As explained in my post most of the functionality to achieve Load/Save/Delete of tab sessions is already present in TabMix in the form of the SessionSaver/Crash Recovery feature. I agree that TabMix should stay lean but that doesn't mean excluding useful functionality for the sake of it, especially when the Load/Save/Delete functionality is a logical extension of SessionSaver, and expanding it to include Load/Save/Delete functionality should not make TabMix much larger or more complex.

I could counter-argue that anyone who wants a really light version of TabMix should stick with 0.2 or 0.2.1. After all, if they're happy with the way it is, why would they need any new functionality or new versions ?!

logixoul wrote:
Defenestration wrote:Please can you reconsider adding this Load/Save/Delete Sessions feature to TabMix.

I will think about it.

Thanks.

I obviously am with Defenestration on this, either remove all session save/restore options from tab mix and truly leave it to another extension hence keeping it light (after all as an example I save sessions regularly and reload them but never restore on startup so this COULD be considered bloat from my POV) . As it stands Tab Mix does have some save-restore functionality but not enough to replace either SessionSaver or CrashRecovery yet I suspect many people consider this an integral part of tab behaviour and hence run one or the other.

I prefer Tab Mix to TBE because it runs faster, is very stable and I don't feel pushed into constantly upgrading every week because with TBE you are never sure if the update is important or not due to the way it insinuates its way into core FF files and so it is hard to follow the old adage of if it aint broke don't fix it. Whilst for me TBE was (mostly) rock solid until the latest 1.14.x builds a lot of TBE's features were simply bloat to me as I never used them and in the past I had ended up uninstalling and reinstalling TBE a couple of times to fix weird behaviour because of install order or another extension being upgraded. I would never have dumped TBE until I discovered tab mix because i did not want to install half a dozen extensions to get the functionality I was after. Tab Mix basically does all of the major features I was interested in.

If Tab Mix didn't already have some session restoration (and by implication saving) features already in the code base then I would agree that it shouldn't be added but as it is already there I wouldn't expect extending it to add much in the way of a performance hit or size increase. However as Session Saver also has some of the undo close tabs behaviour etc. adding this functionality into Tab Mix could also help remove potential conflicts in the future.

Logixoul, thanks for considering implementing the additional tab storage and restoration features and hopefully this post will give you an idea from where I was coming from with this feature request. Unfortunately I have never written an extension (in fact I am not even sure what languages are generally used for this or the details of the API) and so I cannot really make any technical judgement on how easy or hard this is to implement and hence what impact this will have on the performance or size and so my comments related to this area are just speculation but I know from experience that sometimes things which appear trivial are anything but.

Thanks for your efforts, they are much appreciated.

Morpheus
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

My other requests for TabMix are:

1) Vertical scrollbar with arrows for multi-row tab bar (like TBE) when number of rows exceeds max rows. Currently there is only up/down arrows, which does not allow you to see roughly how many rows you have open, and also the position in the tab row.

2) Keep browser window in background when clicking on links in external applications (another feature in TBE). Often when reading my e-mails I will receive several which contain URL's. It's very convenient to be able to go through each e-mail and click on the URL, without the browser window coming to the foreground and having to move back to the E-mail app.

3) Integrate max tab rows parameter into TabMix prefs GUI.

Also, a small bug.... The tab bar is not redrawn when the min/max tab width is changed. For example, I like to set the min and max to the same value (eg. 200), but if you go to the TabMix options and change this to 250, then the tab bar is not redrawn automatically until a new tab row is created (and also probably disappears).