[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Zulithe wrote:Can you do anything about that how Adblock changes the icon shown when an image is still loading/gone to that awful looking red diamond?

What locale are you using? I've just discovered that one of the locales was encoded incorrectly which meant the status bar icon was red for unloaded when it actually wasn't. That has now been corrected.
Last edited by mcm_ham on June 4th, 2005, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdew

Post by mdew »

lymanepp, Yochanan from http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s ... 25191&st=0 is experiencing problems with the adblock plus hack (from your newer patch), no idea what would be causing it?
mcm_ham

Re: DIV blocking

Post by mcm_ham »

AnonEmoose, I've basically put your modification in except your modification of fakeurl.spec. I think it makes it a bit more confusing or is there a reason someone would want to know if it's a class or id.
Luana

Post by Luana »

mcm_ham wrote:What locale are you using? I've just discovered the Italian locale files were encoded incorrectly which was causing problems like the status bar icon saying it's disabled when it wasn't...

[Partially OT]
:(
I'm really sorry
I use PS Pad like software in order to save the files, and I've always used (for approximately 10 months, nearly 80
localizations)
the UNIX-UFT8 encoding
I do not know what can be happened this time :oops: :oops: :oops:

@To the persons to which I've brought annoyance:
"Please, pardon me"

TIA for your understanding
[/Partially OT]
Spread the extensions!!!
Please developers, create the locale structure so all people around the world can use FF, TB & all Mozilla appz with localized extensions :D
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Removed
Last edited by mcm_ham on June 4th, 2005, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

mcm_ham wrote:
Zulithe wrote:Can you do anything about that how Adblock changes the icon shown when an image is still loading/gone to that awful looking red diamond?

What locale are you using? I've just discovered the Italian locale files were encoded incorrectly which was causing problems like the status bar icon saying it's disabled when it wasn't. This has now been fixed.
Hello. Sorry that it took so long to reply. I was away for the weekend. I'm using English. :) That is what you meant, yes?
AnonEmoose

Re: DIV blocking

Post by AnonEmoose »

mcm_ham wrote:AnonEmoose, I've basically put your modification in except your modification of fakeurl.spec. I think it makes it a bit more confusing or is there a reason someone would want to know if it's a class or id.
Cool. The reason I suggested fakeurl.spec is since "id" can reduce false positives in some cases, and "class" is more efficient in others.

"id" targets only one DIV element, while "class" can target 1 or more elements. There are times when using a "class" will remove wanted content. Other times "id" is not as efficient for exactly the same reason.

Personally, I like to keep my filters restrictive (to reduce false positives, possibly more filters) while other people like filters to be broader (shorter filter list, possibly more false positives).

EDIT
I did more testing. While my above explaination is still true, there is very little practical value to it (on the sites i tested, at least) so your instinct to leave out fakeurl.spec because of more confusion is a good call.
CPU

Post by CPU »

not sure if it can be done by you but currently i am synchronizing with a static filter file, however there are some places where i want to have whitelist but i cant since the sync option doesnt keep it, it just overrides it

so is there anyway that whitelisting can be done in a seperate file?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051114 Firefox/1.5 - Build ID: 2005111403
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

Install latest dev build (i always use txt version)
go here:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Microso ... 7#talkback
the article collapses after it loads with adblock on. works fine when disabled. I've seen a few cases of this elsewhere too. On Neowin, but I can't locate the page I saw it at again.

I use filterset.g:
http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/
currently: 2005-05-22a.txt

This wasn't happening with a dev build I downloaded a few days ago using the same setup.

I know it is a dev build, just reporting the site so you can test if needed.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

That's because Adblock Plus is now checking DIV ID sections and it so happens the article is inside one:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_No_IE7_for_Windows_2000/1117464807#DIV(intelliTxt)

This matches G's filter
/intelli(-direct\.com|srv\.(js|net)|txt)/

My suggestion is remove "|txt" from the filter. Alternatively you can create a new whitelist filter like this "@@#DIV(intelliTxt)". What do you think, should I make a preference to enable/disable DIV checking or not? BTW I plan on releasing the current build within the next day.

Zulithe wrote:That is what you meant, yes?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Still can't reproduce your problem though.
Last edited by mcm_ham on June 3rd, 2005, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

CPU wrote:not sure if it can be done by you but currently i am synchronizing with a static filter file, however there are some places where i want to have whitelist but i cant since the sync option doesnt keep it, it just overrides it. So is there anyway that whitelisting can be done in a seperate file?

I take it you're syncing with a filter file on someone's website? What I suggest doing is a manual sync instead of an automatic one and choose to append the filter set instead of overwrite. The duplicate filters will disappear once you click done and reopen. Removing the duplicates before you click done is something I may do at some stage. If people are interested I will look at giving the option of appending instead of overwriting during automatic synchronization.
mdew

Post by mdew »

mcm_ham, will your new build include lymanepp's fixes?
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Yes it does. Adblock 0.5.7 is now released see extensionsmirror post.
Jus

Post by Jus »

Hi, does the div thing mean I can block the gmail text ads with adblock now?
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Jus wrote:Hi, does the div thing mean I can block the gmail text ads with adblock now?

Well I haven't been getting google text ads on gmail for a while now to test even with Adblock disabled, I'm not sure why. But you can now remove the "New Window" and "Print" links that you couldn't do before using the new DIV blocking feature. However, it doesn't appear to collapse the empty space that's left behind.

What do people think, should I remove the default filters that come when you install Adblock Plus for the first time? If I do you will still be able to do Synchronize Now when the Synchronization Path is empty to load the default filters.